Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need urgent help or advice

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
i got blown head gasket so i starting to pull everything apart

this is what's inside inlet manifold looks like
oil mixed with coolant

the car broke down once then i refilled the radiator trying to drive it home
so now the engine has knocking sound at high rpm

please guys i really need a quick advice whether i should go ahead with recondition the cylinder head and new gasket or does it requires full engine engine recondition ?? anyone has the same problem like mine?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
That is what coolant in oil looks like.... firstly fix the head gasket, as it separates coolant channels from oil channels.
i would also flush your engine trough (wouldn't have a clue what with never had to flush out an engine)

Once that is fixed test drive and confirm that it was the head gasket.
If the knocking noise is still present, it probably means that a Bearing is becoming dry and noisy.
To Diagnose Connecting Rod Bearing Noise
whilst test driving the vehicle, whilst at 60 or when the engine is under load you will head a sharp rapping or knocking noise.

Connecting rod bearing noise should be rectified very quickly as it can cause an engine seizure, replacing the Connecting rod bearings is a task to do whilst the heads are off the engine as they connecting rod comes from the Crankshaft to the Pistons. the bearings at the Piston head create noise.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Often a head gasket can cause water to get into the bottom end of the engine, causing rapid deterioation of one or more big end bearings... it wouldn't be instant, however if the HG had been leaking for a bit before it was discovered certainly possible. Confirm what the knock is first... a 2nd hand motor might be a better bet then fixing this one, then discovering the entire thing going bye bye a few months down the track having spent money on it.

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
so guys think the knocking sound is definately coming from piston and connecting rod?

or by flushing the engine and replace head gasket would fix this knocking sound before i continue because i reckon whole set new gasket would cost me around at least 100 right before i continue

sry this is my first time trying to replace gasket on hot rod engine and i need a clue

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
so the progress so far

first, i m having problem removing this fuel hose :bang:
we have to have use quick release tool no 7370 lol, anybody know wher i can buy it from?

for expert, where can i find tdc mark on this crankshaft lol

on the manual it doesnt state that i have to check tdc when removing the cylinder head. is this sound right?? sry i m newbie :bow:

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
update finally upper inlet removed

look how filthy it is

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
good on you your getting there
TDC marks arent required on the outside. as its a remove the timing cover to re time.

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
thanks fitz_vt hehe

i havent had much experience with hot rod .. ups i mean push rod engine :lock:

garywg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
Good on you for having a go.
Just remember to take things nice and slowly so as not to bugger anything up!!

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good on you for having a go.
Just remember to take things nice and slowly so as not to bugger anything up!!
exactly because the last thing you want is to stuff up your engine. but the timing is the most important thing if you pistons are off by a small amount you can do damage to your push rods and also cams and lifters. So when you have taken the head off be really careful re attaching it and other items of interest.