Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neg battery Terminal Very warm for no reason

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
I was working on my car today, mainly electrical system and when i was finished i tried to start the car, battery was just under starting voltage (this happen when its sits there for a while) so i figured id pull it out and charge, now when i felt the neg battery cable it was really warm and i cant think why it would be? i only tried to start the car without success it did crank over but not start.

Nothing around it was warm, further down the cable it was cold, the battery terminal itself didnt seem that warm.

Is this normal? Is this bad?

I have an Optima D34 Yellowtop Drycell battery

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
loose negative terminal is what causes heat like that its trying to pull power through there making it warm screew it round on the terminal a bit and retighten it

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
loose negative terminal is what causes heat like that its trying to pull power through there making it warm screew it round on the terminal a bit and retighten it

I haven't been tightening them because i take the battery out often. Sweet answered in like 2.5.

Thanks Delcowizzid

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
sweet as mate if its not starting and getting hot there just the power wont be getting through it wont help with charging the battery when running either

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i meant the alternator wont charge it well but yeah see how you go whan shes all charged up

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
it causes resistance is why it got hot