Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Neutral Safety Switch Location

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the neutral safety switch is located in a VR SS? I know there is one on the console near the shifter, but is there another on the gearbox itself, and if so, where is it?

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
It's on the selection lever assembly. From my diagram it looks like it's on the LHS of the trans but it could be on the RHS.

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Ok, this might be a bit long winded, so I apologise in advance but I need everyone to know the full details so they can make an accurate assessment of my dilemma and offer advice accordingly.

Rewind 3 weeks ago.

I did a transmission service and it all went off without a hitch. Had a slight fluid drama with the correct amount but sorted that out with no ill effects.

Fast forward to last week.

I park my car at night. Come outside in the morning and it won't crank. Everything works, just no crank. So I left it sit for a couple of hours and did a bit of research on the net. Someone suggested trying another key, so I grab my spare, go outside and what do you know, it starts! So, I drive around for the past week using the spare key .... No dramas.

3 days ago, I go to start my car and no crank again. No biggie, I go and grab my other key, put in in and it still won't crank. Everything else works except for cranking. I noticed when I turned the key to the cranking position (and get nothing) the clock on the stereo display goes out.

Flat battery I thought, so I grab the other commodore, and try jump starting it ...... nothing.

I checked the error codes and get code 12 ... All normal still no crank.

I strip the shifter assembly plastics and check the safety switch. All good, still no crank.

I strip the ignition down, make sure the key is touching the metal ring and trying starting it with a screwdriver in the black plastic piece, still no crank.

I check all fuses, perfect. I check all relays ... perfect.

Is it possible that during the transmission service I might have bumped another neutral safety switch located on either the outside of the box or inside the pan somewhere? I wiped the wiring assembly down with a rag to stop getting dripped on with transmission fluid, but don't think I loosened anything or unplugged anything.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem might be? Is there another neutral safety switch on the gearbox itself? Someone else on here said there was, but couldn't tell me if it was inside or outside, passenger side or drivers side. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my son goes into hospital for an operation on Tuesday and we really need 2 cars working.

Cheers all, I eagerly await your replies.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Check your starter motor fuse/relay, replac them with another one an try starting the car.

Cheers
MaT

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Yeah, done that. I replaced it with the horn relay. Still no dice.

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Yeah mate, security light goes off when I turn the key. Both key fobs lock and unlock the doors too.

It's got me stumped, that's what is leading me to believe that I might have accidentally unplugged or bumped a secondary neutral safety switch either on the side or INSIDE the pan on the gearbox. I hope that's not the case though. Really don't want to pull that off again!

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
You sir, a a f^*&ing legend! ...... lol

I was almost tearing my hair out. I bridged the starter relay to determine if it was starter motor side or computer side and worked out the problem lay with the starter. Read your post, grabbed my jack handle and hit the solenoid a couple times, hit the key and away she went!

If I ever meet up with you, remind me to buy you a beer or twenty :)

Thanks heaps for all the help guys, I'm off to buy a new starter motor.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
pmsl I love a happy ending!!