Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Never Ending Rim Search

kipela

Go the VY!
Reaction score
Website
www.kipela.com
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Executive
Hey guys,

Ahh the endless search for choosing rims. Today went and checked out some brands and prices at a friends shop and he suggested a pair of Advanti Photons along with a few other sets. Being a good friend he said he could do a good deal on rims + tyres + fitting + balancing so natually I listened up.

Being the person I am I ran home and started doing research on Advanti as I had never personally heard of them before. Searching these forums I found people generally seem pretty happy with their Advanti's and such which is a good thing. Advanti are imported by YHI as far as I believe aswell.

Upto this point I had my eyes set on a pair of 18" VY SS, but after todays effort now I'm not too sure. Like everyone else I want something a bit unique, so naturally VY SS wouldn't be the way to go - but on the other hand keeping things genuine is always good. I have already upgraded small parts of the interior with SS/HSV options (shifters, pedals, handles, vents etc) so whether I choose to keep the wheels genuine aswell is another story.

I own a Barbados Blue 2004 VY S2 Exec if it helps. He did suggest chromes may suit the colour, but not a huge fan of them (plus upkeep and being attractive to police and thieves). His main suggestion was Advanti Photon, they look pretty good, but do have a fairly common look about them.

You can checkout the Advanti 2006 Collection here - http://www.yhi.com.au/Downloads/YHI_2006_Wheel_Brochure.pdf

Yes I understand there is a thousand options and brands for rims, but I find myself just getting confused - all I care is that if I did choose Advanti, I knew they were of quality build and generally a good brand and well made wheel - and of course I liked em. I am of course open to other suggestions on brands/ranges and whether any tyre shops in Brisbane have specials on at the moment.

Cheers.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(

kipela

Go the VY!
Reaction score
Website
www.kipela.com
Members Ride
Yeah I've done alot of looking around, tempe is always a frequent stop heh.

As for genuine GTS, VX GTS are probably my favourite rims ever made, and yes its a pity they cost 3-5 grand or else it would be no contest what I would buy :D

Jimboss

Reaction score
Advanti do make pretty decent stuff, so you need'nt be worried about them being a crap product. I have a set of 17 Stalkers and they are awesome (though a bit too common for my liking).

Good luck, i hope you like whatever you end up with.

kipela

Go the VY!
Reaction score
Website
www.kipela.com
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply guys.

One thing I was worried about with such an open faced rim like the Photons is that I may have to do something with the brake calipers, be it an upgrade or respray because the gaps between the spokes are rather large.

I may look around at some other brands and as VN2NV said find something I am really happy with before I buy something. I didn't want to put out my friend and his shop by asking for rims they may have trouble finding, but I am fairly certain he should be able to get in what I want and throw it in a tyre and fitting package.

I do like the Zenetti Kaotic, Throwback and S42, classic looking rim but not as common as say VY SS. Thing is some of those only come in 19's and up, my max size is 18's.

Those Starcorps are very nice aswell NV, what model as those? I do like the splits down the centre of the spokes as a design aswell.

I am after a 5 spoke rim for sure, but maybe not as common as the Photon or VY SS design, so any other suggestions appreciated :)

kipela

Go the VY!
Reaction score
Website
www.kipela.com
Members Ride
1991_Vn2nV said:
They're the Starcorp Tracers in chrome :yeah:

Howcome your max size is 18 inch? Any particular reason? Or is it because of legality?

Many reasons but yes mostly to do with legality and being attractive to police for defects and thieves. 18's still fill out the guards nicely and as far as I believe still give a pretty comfortable ride - and of course tyre replacements costs.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
If this has been said then shoot me :yeah:

Best way is to actually go and have a few different sets fitted to the car before you decide, I was just in the same situation you are and I found a few sets that I thought looked awesome, put them on the car and it looked **** :cry:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
kipela said:
Many reasons but yes mostly to do with legality and being attractive to police for defects and thieves. 18's still fill out the guards nicely and as far as I believe still give a pretty comfortable ride - and of course tyre replacements costs.

Yeah they're the same reasons for me choosing 18's, except for legalality part :(

Good luck with it mate :thumbsup: I spent months trying to find the right rims, theres so many choices and its so hard to imagine them all on your car, its not an easy choice. Just make the right one hehe :thumbsup: