Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 20" Tyres :(

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Well boys its come that time again where i need to replace my tyres much earlier than they are due :ranting: They seem to last me 6 months before something goes wrong...

This time i got a big screw in one of the rears. Anyway... the one time i didn't check my tyres before jumping in my car and driving off - it was early as i was going to work. I jumped in my car and went 200m up the road where i gently went around a round a bout and got thrown into a fish tail coming out of it before i realised something was wrong.

Got out and checked my tyres and yep, the rear right hand side was dead flat :bang:

Needless to say the rim has ruined the tyre from driving on it and it needs replacing. 50 to 60% tread left on it might i add! I should have got a few burnouts in on them while i had the chance haha :p

Anyway since i am replacing my tyres so often i will be opting for a cheaper option tyre.

My usual Nexen N3000's have stopped production so i can't just replace the 1 rear :(

I will replace both rears i think. Currently looking at Federal 595 Evo's

I can pick these up for $265 each - Which is near cost price.

Size required: 275/30/20

Anyone know anything about these? Or have any other ideas??

Looking for some quick answers as i will order them 2moro.

Thanks!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Haven't heard any bad things about Federals - but then no raving reviews either. Heard of a few guys running around on Triangle Tyres and they're allegedly very cheap but I know absolutely nothing about them. Similar deal with Sumitomo - and they will come in a 275 width. Passenger - 20 INCH Have no idea on price though. Just another brand to throw around in the mix.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Thanks mate. I think i put my point across wrong. I'm kind of after the next step up from a **** tyre haha. as in i'd rather spend an extra bit of money to get something on the bottom end of decent.

I heard the federals suited that lol. as im after performance tyres too.

I honestly know f-all about tyres though so i dont really know... i've never heard of those 2 u just mentioned though

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Ahhh.. gotcha. Well the Sumitomos READ well - no idea though. Maxxis are pretty good for the money and they'll have a 275width. They're very popular in commodore circles. I have Khumo KU31s on at the moment. According to the Kumho website, pcr ku31 , you're looking at $534.60 a corner, but I didn't pay $350 a corner for mine, so you'll pick them up cheaper. For a mid-price tyre they're pretty good. Done about 16,000 in them and they're more than half worn. So they won't last forever, which means they're a bit soft - but that explains why they're nice and sticky. Wet grip isn't bad - I find they wear more evenly and grip better if you run them a little down on recommended pressure - they started wearing through the centre at recommended PSI. But the OE Bridgestones did the same and were cactus at 16,000. Whether I buy them again, depends on how my car is running. If it's still rooted when they've had it then probably - but if it's running well, then I'll do the suspension mods and fit some Michelins.

Last edited:

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I had those Kuhmo's on before these nexen's. I can't justify spending that much anymore lol. you paid $350 each for yours?

yea i think i'd only have got 16,000kms out of mine. they still have a fair bit of tread on them too. maybe i should look into the new Nexens N5000's.

Michelins are worth a fair bit aren't they?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
No mate, picked my set up for something like $240 each. Not bad considering. Wasn't after a top-line tyre - just one that would do the job for now.

Yeah, the Michelin's aren't cheap... unless you're Juzo, apparently. 245/45R18s are around $500

Most people seem to get more out of the Kumhos than I will. Honestly not sure why - haven't been driving them hard, not through choice mind - just don't want to tempt fate and fkin the car up more than it is.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
bloody hell. how'd u get them that cheap? i'll have to look into them as i thought they were a pretty good tyre. actually u wouldn't have bought 20's would u?

yea tyre's are my flaw. something always goes wrong with them for me :(. i never flog my tyres either, i wish i did have a bit of fun in them now looking back haha could have used up a bit more tread! although it wouldnt be too good for the clutch :p

i definitely wont be spending $500 per tyre.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
see how i go mate, i should be able to get them near cost price. i'll let u know

otherwise i'll look into the new nexens and federals