Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 20" Tyres :(

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i've been quoted the Falcons $260 fitted and balanced.

i'm pretty keen on the kuhmo's at the moment as $234 sounds like a damn good price

dude, wait for the prices to come through from Brad... but even if you dont go through him, for $26 dont you think the Falkens are worth the extra cash?
Not saying Kuhmo are crap (they arent), but a Korean tyre vs a big name Jap tyre like Falken (and the 452's are their flagship tyre!) and there's no question which one I'd rather have as a contact patch on the road.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
dude, wait for the prices to come through from Brad... but even if you dont go through him, for $26 dont you think the Falkens are worth the extra cash?
Not saying Kuhmo are crap (they arent), but a Korean tyre vs a big name Jap tyre like Falken (and the 452's are their flagship tyre!) and there's no question which one I'd rather have as a contact patch on the road.

Definitely agree with that. The Kumhos were good for me at the time - but I couldn't pick up a set of the 452s for anywhere near the price of the kumhos. Most places in Sydney were talking almost bridgestone money for them. But if the prices are as lean as you're saying for the 452s, I'd be jumping at them, Maccas. By all reports, they're an awesome wet weather tyre - which is really what's important. Anything will stick an average amount in the dry. And like I said, I found the kumhos to be very good when new, but fade quite noticeably over time. And a stronger sidewall would be a significant improvement.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
from my understanding the Kuhmo's are the better and more expensive tyre, then the Acellera's then the Falcons last.

Thats why i was keen on the Kuhmos as they are cheap as chips on from Unit.

I was originally keen on the falcons but then heard that the Acellera's were better - apparently they are made by Pirelli. They are the cheaper version they sell without the brand name but similar compunds. I was quoted $275 for the Acellera's but then found them cheaper at $200. So thats why i went with those over the Fed's.

But i know Kuhmos are good so thats why i had my change of heart to those.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Ok now after reading this page a few more times I've come to a better understanding lol

From my understanding the tyres mentioned are ranked as below from best to worst?

Falken 452 - Waiting on Price - Falken
Kumho KU31 - $234 - Kuhmo
Acellera Ph-1 - $200 - Acellera
Federal 595 Evo - $260 - Fed's

:) haha

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
As mentioned above, I would go the Falken 452's - japanese and flagship model. I would have gone them again myself but I couldnt get them in the timeframe needed. They were good in the wet. Theres a 100km/h road with an uphill stretch where water streams across quite noticably during rain. The falkens treated that patch like it didnt exist.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Hey Brad,

If you're looking anyway and get a chance, can you suss out the price for the 18 inch SS stockies in the FK452s? 245/45R18

Don't need them just yet, but the old Kumhos are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I'd take a punt and say they'll done and dusted within 6 months.

Just curious to get a ball park figure if you have time, mate.

cheers.

FK452 in 245/45R18 are $267 each plus about $10 each per tyre freight if you're not too far from a major city. I'll double check tomorrow.

Also I should have a Kumho price list maybe tomorrow, if not, Monday.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
FK452 in 245/45R18 are $267 each plus about $10 each per tyre freight if you're not too far from a major city. I'll double check tomorrow.

Also I should have a Kumho price list maybe tomorrow, if not, Monday.

hmm im guessing the 275/30/20's are going to be closer to $300 :(

do you have any idea when u would have a price for those mate? as i hate driving on my spare...

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
hmm im guessing the 275/30/20's are going to be closer to $300 :(

do you have any idea when u would have a price for those mate? as i hate driving on my spare...

Not necessarily. It's all about how common they are rather than a case of bigger = more expensive. My costs to run my business are VERY low which is why I can sell tyres so cheap. I host the site/email and I'm building the site myself to save money which is passed on to the customer with rediculously low markups that tyre shops couldn't afford to do.

Let's say the FK452's are about $300. That MUST mean that the Falkens you were quoted weren't FK452's.

Also beware of the Falken "ZE-512" parallel imported by 'The kings of bling' as these aren't meant to be in Australia and have been superceded a LONG time ago.

Will have prices for multiple Falken, Federal and Kumhos in that size tomorrow.