Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 2012 SV6 Sportwagon running rough after 4 days

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 Commodore Sportswagon
Hi all,

I bought a new SV6 Commodore Sportwagon 6 days ago (straight from the factory, only 17kms on it when I received it). For the first 3-4 days I was amazed at how smooth the car was on start up - completely quiet and still even when cold. The quietest and smoothest car I've ever driven.

Since about the 4th day every time I start the car it runs rough and shudders slightly when idling - that is until it has been driven for a while. It's not extremely rough or anything, but enough to notice a significant difference from when I bought it. The car runs fine while driving, but until it's warm it will run a bit rough while sitting in park or stopped at traffic lights.

Is it normal to notice this kind difference after only 4 days? I know that a lot of cars run a bit rough when cold, but to notice a difference within 4 days of ownership seems extreme. I've spent a hell of a lot of money on this car and am getting a bit worried.

I've treated the car well and have only filled up with premium petrol so far. The only thing I can think of is that I do drive a fair distance to work (40 km), but the dealership knew about this and didn't say anything about it being a problem, and the manual doesn't say anything about avoiding this either. It's not as if I've driven interstate or anything.

Probably a complete noob question, but thanks in advance for your help. ;)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Since its a new car, i would express my concerns directly to the Holden dealership you got it from as soon as possible, indicating the issues and the length of ownership of the car being so little.

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
i'd be speaking to the dealer...it could have a faulty sensor or something , certainly not uncommon for a mas produced car..
it's good to drive for long distances with new cars...getting the engine up to operating temperature for a long time and working the motor through the rev range is the best thing you can do with it...
but in saying that , just sitting at 60km/h at 1500rpm for long distances isn't good..it needs to be working.

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I'm going back to the dealership on Saturday morning anyway, as they forgot to put the mudflaps on the car when it was ordered.. *groan*. I'll raise the issue with them then. I'm predicting some sort of response about it being normal, or about how it will be resolved at the first service - I absolutely hate dealing with car salesmen/ dealerships...

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
My SV6 2011 does the same thing, it also uses about 1ltr of oil every 3,000km, it has been at the dealer for the last 3 days getting fixed, along with the squeaky front seat.

So fingers crossed no running very low on oil after 10,000km

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

asdfasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update - they cancelled the Saturday morning appointment due to someone calling in sick, so they couldn't look at the car. Initially the issue with running rough only occurred when starting up, but driving to work this morning it was running rough as guts the entire drive. The car was never still while driving - felt like I was driving on a dirt road, despite the road actually being fine.

I've called the dealership and booked it in for first thing tomorrow morning. I'm just hoping there's no permanent damage to the car from having to drive it home tonight and then to the dealership tomorrow while it's like this. It's already been rough on start up for about a week now, so I'm hoping it hasn't been permanently damaged by driving it. It's a $42,000 brand new car and it's already running like crap. They just don't make things like they used to. Even the heater in my house has broken 3 times this winter... Not sure if it's just my incredibly bad luck or whether all products are made like **** these days. End rant.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Keep us updated once you get any.

Curious to know whats wrong.

And that sucks, especially for a brand new car!

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
i know its new and all but if i was you i would take it for a drive to heat it up a bit and flog it for a couple of times to see if that helps, New motors need to go through the rev range
If its brand new it will have warranty so will be all covered if anything happens

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Don't worry too much until the service guys have a look at it. Probably some simple fix under warranty.
Hopefully they'll go over it thoroughly and make sure everything else is spot on too.