Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 235/45 R17 Tyre Recommendations

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Guys,

I've currently get the original Bridgestone RE030's on my VY SS Ute. I've done 40,000k's and am now looking at some new rubber.

Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations on what to get. I don't drive too hard, 40k from the originals is proof! I want something that is still quality, but don't want to outlay $370 a corner!

What about Falken?

What about Toyo?

What about Maxxis?

What about Hankook?

Any help would be appreciated. We all know what tyre guys are like... They all have the best tyre.. The last one was crap... This ones soft, yet will last for 80k....

Huthy

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i recommend maxxis, i've had them on the ford and now my calais and i can't get enough, the handle fantastic, drive really well in the wet (like really well:thumbsup: ) ummm what else can i say there just bloody great all rounder, i've had nankang, bridgestone and dunlops before the maxxis and i will never get anything but maxxis, oh there usually one of the cheapest to:thumbsup:

$230 a tyre im pretty sure, 235/45 17. could even be 200:w00t:

EDIT: NO I DO NOT WORK FOR MAXXIS OR ANY TYRE SHOP.....just love em!

Burt_vn

Back in the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V8 5spd, 400hp 5spd soarer, vq stato
Id say nankang, ive always found them to be a good cheap tyre. They are the best value tyre on the market at the moment, IMO.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Maxxis MA-Z1 are as good if not better than the Potenzas from my experience. And much cheaper...

From all the tyre comparison tests I've read, there's always less than 10% difference between the best tyre and the worst tyre anyway. Hence the varying opinions from tyre shop guys.

I've also heard good things about Falkens, Toyo's and Nankangs. :thumbsup:

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
What model of Maxxis would you suggest?
I've been quoted on the MA-V1 and Victra?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I've had a few sets of Falken tyres (326's and another model I've forgotten) and found them to be ok - good grip but noisy and slippery in the wet.

I'm not a big fan of the Nankangs - they certainly last a long time but I've found them to be hopeless in wet weather.

Currently I'm hooked on Federal 595's - quite cheap, but easily better than either of the Falken tyres in every way...and they seem to last quite well too. Highly recommended.

Burt_vn

Back in the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V8 5spd, 400hp 5spd soarer, vq stato
Yeah the nankangs last, thats why i prefer them. And they do handle terribly in the wet, thats half the fun isnt it? :p

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
What model of Maxxis would you suggest?
I've been quoted on the MA-V1 and Victra?
victra mate, also they won wheels 2006 tyre of the year with best wet breaking and noise!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
MA-Z1 are more expensive but i belevie that MA-V1 are pretty much the same in quailty and are a bit cheaper