Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 235/45 R17 Tyre Recommendations

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Yup, running v1's on mine, and no complaints here! Saw a catalog (one of the major tyre joints) maxxis v1's at $150.

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Im running a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101's on my VT waggon and i am very happy with them, very good in the wet and dont wear out fast either.

they dont mind a bit of weight on them either.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I run Falken GRB F451 (new model 452 I think). great in the wet or dry last about 20-25,000klm and cost under $200 each, far better then the 326 or 329's.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I have some 235/45 R17 maxxis MA-V1 on mine. I recon they are a awesome tire for the price. I just got mine on special for $149 a tire from bobjane. They might still have them on sale. The maxxis MA-V1 came with my wheel and tire package, but last week had to replace the rear right tire. For some reason it keeps wearing out faster then the rest.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Federal 595 on my VS - 235/45/17's -Cost me only $125 from holmart.com.au

http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/product.php?DB=motosports#

That's a damned good price for the feddy's. As per usual I'll go the company line and say they're not a bad tyre. (I work for the people who wholesale them) I ran them on my old car and they gripped quite nicely in the wet and dry, only downsides are that they're a soft compound so they wear a bit quicker than some people are happy with and they can be a bit noisy on the open road.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I had the federal 595 and i didn't like them, they are fine in the dry, but they seemed a bit strange in the wet. I found they would kick out at the back unexpectedly eg. at light throttle comming around a corner they would let go on the gear change (auto not shift kitted or anything) but you'ld barley feel the change. But if you accelerated around the corner they were fine. It was like they just needed a bit of weight on them to get the grip.

stopped fine in the wet etc. but didn't like the back end kicking out while granny driving around a corner at 20 kph.

They are also very noisy when the tread gets about half way down.

mind you if i could only afford 150 or so per tire i'ld choose them

I now have pirrelli dragons $220 per tire only had them for 5000kms, love them so far, really hang on wet or dry, when you make them let go they still have grip to work with.

Previously had pirrelli p5000 and p6000

the p5000 were fantastic lots of grip all the time even through deep water really noisy. p6000 about 80% as good as the p5000 not alot of noise.

my mate has some sava? or something like that on his car and they are terrible in the wet.

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
I have some 235/45 R17 maxxis MA-V1 on mine. I recon they are a awesome tire for the price. I just got mine on special for $149 a tire from bobjane. They might still have them on sale. The maxxis MA-V1 came with my wheel and tire package, but last week had to replace the rear right tire. For some reason it keeps wearing out faster then the rest.
With the Maxxis, do they have a treadwear rating on the sidewall? What is it? I'm just trying to compare the Bridgestones, with 140 as a rating.. Seems pretty soft to me... But hey I got 40,000 out of them!!

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
I run GT Radial Champiro HPZ-17's. Really nice piece of rubber. Good price to I got them for $140 a piece. They handle really well and stick like sh*t to a blanket.