Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 235/45 R17 Tyre Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Huthy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    Only problem you'll find with the 595's is that they're a soft compound and will wear quickly. Good in the wet, great in the dry, but the buggers just don't last. Not bad if you're expecting to burn through a set quickly anyway, but if you're after a tyre to go the long haul and perform well throughout, something more expensive in a mainstream brand might be the go. Yes my opinions have changed slightly in the last three years. :p

2. sam5l

sam5l australias driving future

Members Ride:
    vk calais 5L / vn spak buick powered
    i have nankang on the front and firestones on the rears the nankang are hard composed tyres so they actually belong on the rear becuase they grip like **** in the wet but my fronts have more tread so ill leave em like that personally firestones are great but they wear out to quick

3. sweefu

sweefu New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
    ^^+1 I've used firestones on the rear before, they were awesomely sticky but did wear quickly.

4. Asmodai78

Asmodai78 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V Sportwagon
    I must say that Maxxis MA-Z1 are a great tyre, good wearing, good traction in the wet but the road noise is making me look for another tyre when i need to replace them.

5. spokkeh

spokkeh New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Statesman
    Have you guys got anything to say about Bridgestone Supercats? I've been recommended these by my cousin and a Bridgestone tyre place as a good tyre on a budget. Also I hear they were top stuff back in the day.

6. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    A few months back I put a set of Toyo's on the VX SS in the 235/45/17 size, very happy with them, the main thing I noticed with them is how exceptionally quiet they are,
    as soon as I drove off it was so noticeable how quiet they are compared to the Bridgestones I had on previously, grip wise they seem fine, only done a few thousand on them but they seem good value. From memory they were around $170 a tyre from Tyrepower. Link below to the Toyo web site.

Toyo Tires Home

Teo Plus

7. deXtrous

deXtrous New Member

Members Ride:
    96 VS Acclaim
    Picked up some Federal 595's the other day.. Got them cheap as, $75 each so I thought why not (mates rates :D:D:D:D). Cars due for a pink slip too.

8. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    I've come to learn that quiet tyres on the day you buy them does not necessarily equate to quiet at say, 50% tread. My Kumho Ecsta 20in are a perfect example. Great tyre but they get noisy - not at first but as they wear.

I've been thinking about getting Toyo's next, so I'd be interested to hear how quiet your Toyo's are in about 10,000km.
    What type of Toyo's btw?