Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 235/45 R17 Tyre Recommendations

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Do any of the tyres mentioned here have a treadwear rating stamped on the sidewall...

I seem to remember the Temperature, XXXX, and Treadwear Ratings are stamped only on "Australian" tyres? Does anybody now what the criteria for these ratings are? The only thing I know is A for Temperature, and XXXX, is the best you can get... Mind you I 've never seen a B or C... And Treadwear rating..Well the bigger the number, the longer the tyre should theortetically last!

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
With the Maxxis, do they have a treadwear rating on the sidewall? What is it? I'm just trying to compare the Bridgestones, with 140 as a rating.. Seems pretty soft to me... But hey I got 40,000 out of them!!

I just looked and, tread wear 300, traction A, Temp A. What does all this mean? i have never noticed it on my tires till i just looked then. The higher or lower the number better for tread wear?

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Just done some research and found out the following, but yes the higher the number, the better the wear!

Uniform Tire Quality Grading is a US government mandated tire rating system. It is required for all Passenger type tires.

The Treadwear rating is a number based on a vehicle test where tires are compared to a control tire. The rating is based on a percentage in projected wear life. So a tire rated at 400, projected twice as far as a tire rated at 200.

The Traction rating is a letter based on a straight-line wet surface braking test. The ratings are AA, A, B, and C. AA is the highest rating possible. The AA rating is relatively new and many tires currently rated as A might qualify for an AA rating, but have not yet been tested. It is important to remember that the test does not test hydroplaning resistance, nor dry or snow traction nor, cornering capability - wet, dry or snow.

The Temperature rating is a letter based on a step speed test. The possible ratings are A, B, and C. The rating is a bit of a misnomer. While temperature does play a role in the speed capability of a tire, it is not the only factor.

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
What are the Tests?

The Treadwear rating is based on a wear test performed on a 400 mile government test course covering specified sections of public roads in Texas. A group of not more than 4 test vehicles travels the course in a convoy so that all tires experience the same conditions. Tread groove depths of the tires being tested are measured after each 800 miles. The same procedure is followed for a set of "control" or "course monitoring tires" Upon the completion of the 7200 mile test, the rating results of both tires are compared, and the tires being tested are assigned a treadwear rating according to government standards. This number can be used to compare between tires. In the above example, this tire rated 150 should last 1/2 as long as a tire rated 300. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use and may be significantly different from the norm due to differences in road characteristics and climate.

The Traction ratings are AA, A, B, and C, from highest to lowest. This measurement indicates a tires ability to stop in a straight line on wet pavement. The rating is based on a 40mph test where the brakes are "locked up" on wet asphalt and wet concrete surfaces. It's important to remember that this rating does not indicate the tires ability to resists hydroplaning, and do not apply to cornering traction.

Temperature ratings are determined by running tires on an indoor roadwheel test under specified conditions. Successive 30 minute runs are made in 5mph increments starting at 75mph and continuing until the tires fails. Tires with an A rating must withstand at least 114mph, B at least 99mph, and C at least 85mph. These measurements indicate the tire's ability to sustain high temperatures which often cause tires to wear away quickly or in extreme conditions lead to sudden tire failure.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
i have maxxis on my car and i dont like them but thats only coz they make too much nosie

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I've said about 20 times now, you cannot go past using SP3000A's or Sp Maxx Dunlops, excellent tyres in all conditions.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
The Falken ze326 aint a bad tyre. No they're not the most grippy in the wet but they are a hard compound and hard sidewall. At $135 each I've had mine on for 10,000k's and the tread still looks like new. Also the most aggressive tread pattern I've seen in a non directional tyre. Bought them cos they were so cheap but a good brand. If I had the money I'd be buying Kumho in a heart beat! Had them on my previous car. Soooooo quiet and lots of grip.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I've said about 20 times now, you cannot go past using SP3000A's or Sp Maxx Dunlops, excellent tyres in all conditions.

its good when someone else says that doesn't work for SPT (South Pacific Tyres) :p

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Any help would be appreciated. We all know what tyre guys are like... They all have the best tyre.. The last one was crap... This ones soft, yet will last for 80k....

Huthy[/QUOTE]

I just put a set of Maxxis MAZ1's on and they are very good tyre - they have handled better then anything I've had before - they have actually out performed several other much more expensive brand name tyres. If you want the very best at no cost - go Yokohama

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
its good when someone else says that doesn't work for SPT (South Pacific Tyres) :p

lol, i have a mate that does though, bought from him 4 Sp Maxx for $400(19's).

While dealing with beaurepaires i got to use EVERYTHING. The dunlops come out in front everytime, yoko's good in dry, horrid in wet, bridgestones wear too quick, cheap tyres are just that, cheap.

All the tyres were tested on a car that ran consistant low 11's.