Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New 3'' Manta exhaust,does it quieten down after carboning up

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi,just fitted a new 3 inch system,hurricane header & complete manta 3'' stainless steel system including hiflo cats to my vf ss series2 LS3 manual that has lsa supercharger & mild cam..

Like the deep note but it's a bit loud even though it's the quietest version available of the manta exhaust.
Will it quieten down much as it carbons up or should I fit the standard bimodal flaps to the manta mufflers?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Fit your bi-modal valves to the current mufflers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I doubt it will quieten down much over time.
with the bimodal flaps you need to workout whether your mufflers are like this design
d60b86399c80602978054e541e20d213.jpg

you see the valve is on the "straight through" pipe so when it is open you are essentially deleting the muffler and when it is closed the muffler will run the gasses through the baffles and quieten it down.
if your muffler is already running everything through the baffles then adding the bimodal valves wont change too much apart from turning the dual outlet into a single so it might drop the noise a bit but not as much as you need.

if you have the muffler like the picture with a straight through type pipe then adding the bimodal valve to that outlet will quieten it down a fair bit.

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
Its the cats helping make it louder.
If they are 100 cell cats you may as well have no cats,they are there for looks mostly,maximum flow and noise to go with it.
The noise difference between the same cat back system with stock cats and 100 cell cats is huge.

Edited

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
...Will it quieten down much as it carbons up or should I fit the standard bimodal flaps to the manta mufflers?.........

They won't get quieter, if anything they will get louder.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mines similar set up, LS3 with Magnuson supercharger and a cam.

It had a full 3 inch Pacemaker system ( 1 7/8 inch headers, 100 cel cats). hideously loud.

Put a 2.5 inch Hurricane cat back with quite restrictive mufflers. Noticeably quieter when driving, though still too loud at idle, which i'm guessing due to the cam.

Like Stooge said you could be wasting your time putting the bimodal flaps on your mufflers. Try blocking off one of the outlets and see if it makes a difference

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would expect it to get louder if anything once it carbons up mate

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep will get louder after a few heat cycles.

Bloke at work has whipple blown 7 litre vf clubbie...with bi-modals closed you'd never guess it had 700rwhp

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
If it's any help, I've just had a new exhaust system installed and as others have said, will get louder if anything. Now have 1000ks on it.

No blower or cam on mine, but with engine-back 3" with 1 7/8 headers (all DPE) bimodals made a decent enough difference.

Not sure if its the same as the pictured muffler design above, but for me makes enough of a difference to not worry the neighbours, which is really the only reason I had them fitted - that and being able to relax at stop lights with a copper behind you.

Big enough difference at idle with this setup to make it worthwhile.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Does anyone else notice any rattle from an open aftermarket system with bimodal closed?