Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new and novel problem

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
OK I posted this a while ago but I now have the full issue.
Sometimes, only twice in the past month,when I start my car cold I drive around 5 - 10kms and the temp guage goes off the range, I am talking blowing its farking head off, so it seems.
Usually I stop, and after a few seconds restart and all is just fine.
Today I was near a servo so I did a lap of the block and let it go up to beyond "H" and then pulled in and opened the bonnet.
Well the top tank and hose were cold, the overflow bottle was fine, and when I stuck my hand down the side near the bottom of the radiator it was hot, I don't know if it was excessive or not but it was a lot holler than the top.
Now I would love to know what the hell is going on.
As I said it happens infrequently and usually at 4.30am so I am not so prone to check out what it could be but now I have info to allow further suggestions.
I note further that neither hose was collapsed as was suggested and it has a new sender, thermostat and radiator.
:driving:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
do any other gauges act wierd (sticking, jumping,etc...) it could be a problem with the guage itself and not a mechanical problem.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
maybe the radiator is blocked?

sam__kent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
I had this problem with my VR V6. Turns out that I was in fact losing coolant, but intermittently. After a new radiator cap and thermostat, I had a look under the hood when the engine was running and coolant was p1551ng out from around the water pump.

It turned out that the gasket around the inlet mainfold was stuffed. About $290.00 to get it fixed by my mechanic. Of course, if your coolant levels are fine, then this won't have helped you at all... ;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Either the radiator is blocked or the thermostat has been put in back to front or it is stuffed (despite being new). Make sure the thermostat is the correct one and installed properly. It may be sticking shut every now and then which would cause your problem. Good Luck.