Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new android touchscreen gps stereo integrated faceplate i've been working on

piranha

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2008
hey guys I've spent a few weeks creating an android touchscreen system to replace the current ve standard stereo as I didnt want to spend $2000 on an IQ system that I hear is a bit ordinary anyway. I just got the faceplate done and wanted to show it off the faceplate is same size as standard everything is integrated and clips on like normal, its a prototype and needs a bit more work and I still need to wire it all up to the mainboard but what do you think?

It has guided gps which does not require a data connection to work, bluetooth, wifi, 40 gb internal storage, usb input for external flash drive for additional storage video/music. it will be connected to stock stereo so the steering wheel volume controls still work inc radio and radio station selection and cd player still works if you leave a disc in there and of course all hvac controls are functional.

329082aa-c08d-46f5-824b-f0613545e096_zpsba6a3047.jpg

SAM_0813_zpsa6d57894.jpg

Last edited:

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Awesome, if you were to sell them how much would they cost? And could you do anything with the old red display screen up the top, like turn the gauges on for instance?

piranha

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2008
factory stereo stays put it does not need to be removed the pic is of the faceplate that comes off and is the exact same size as the original one this was designed for both this stereo
holden-ve-ss-interior-dash-side.jpg
and this one
omega-my09-interior.jpg
same stereo really just different console and lcd.

slepar I think you need to turn the guages on using tech 2 or eeprom programmer you need to pull the dash apart to get to it too however that info display screen above the stereo will still be functional the knob that allows you to enter the settings and change them will be relocated to the bottom of the faceplate underneath and resized as a smaller knob it will hardly be visible also radio scan buttons will be fitted there too. so all your current information will be displayed and menu accessible as usual. Also if you have bluetooth module installed this will also function normally. A little more electrical engineering is required now but to make some more up and do them properly would prob sell at around $950 each, would need the original faceplate from the stereo its going to be installed into in order to do it or can program a new one to suit the stereo but would cost prob $100-$150 more.

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The faceplate looks very well integrated with the factory knobs and buttons.
Very very interesting concept !

I love the idea of using Android as the OS, with its support for bluetooth serial (and preferably USB host), it wouldn't take a lot of effort to have a USB to Serial converter and an ELM327/329 sitting back there sniffing and injecting SWCAN packets.

I have wanted to connect an open hardware Android device to the RGBs input of the Series I colour headunit (Though at the time I had factory Nav, which I was using a fair bit, so I didnt want to lose that input).
Now that I have converted to an IQ, I would love to use the EDI RGBs input for an android device to get some funky stuff going.

(Im currently playing around with a Nexus 10, and a bluetooth scan tool that supports SWCan, and learning to write software for the thing).
Lots and lots of work to go on my side project (and lots of other projects getting in the way of that one)

Cheers

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Oh ok, you're talking about an Omega.

...But I still don't get it. That screen covers up all the buttons above the 3 heater/AC knobs?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Oh yeah, I also couldn't agree more with the cost of an IQ install.
I lurve mine, but it has cost me a small fortune. (Considering that when you are installing an IQ unit with Nav, that you need to upgrade the cluster to a Series II cluster).
I wish that mine ONLY cost $2K, but the reality is that it has probably cost me almost twice that now.
(Though to be fair, the E3 IQ unit, Nav, triple gauges, E3 cluster, reverse camera, and completely new centre console and trim bits was never going to be cheap).
:(

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Oh ok, you're talking about an Omega.

...But I still don't get it. That screen covers up all the buttons above the 3 heater/AC knobs?

Yep, but all those buttons are for Audio.
So essentially what (I think) will be going on here is that the AUX input on the head unit will be permanently used, the default volume on the headunit turned up,
and the Android device will be dumping audio out to the headunit via Aux. (And will be using the headphone volume output to control the overall volume).

So this solution presently may only be an Omega/SV6/SS Series I solution at the moment ?

piranha

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2008
yes those buttons are eliminated with exception of the volume knob/menu selection knob which is relocated underneath the faceplate and the radio scan buttons also underneath. If you preselect all the stations to the preselections before doing the upgrade you can change to selected stations via the steering wheel or scan to new stations using the scan buttons underneath. yes zerone the aux input is permanantly utilised but since you can still control the stereo volume via steering wheel or knob underneath faceplate you only really need to up the output volume on the android as mute and vol work normal.

also with the bluetooth and an obdII interface you can view real time car diagnostics on the screen with various graphic user displays heres one example:
guiobd_zps3e47f862.jpg

the kids can play need for speed using bt remotes, watch movies etc, browse internet even set it up for android version of siri for voice commands really with bt,wifi,usb and all the apps available and the complete customisability of the rooted android the possibilites are endless.

Last edited:

piranha

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2008
oh and yes I'm not familiar with any of the other stereos since they already have screens I didnt look into them this only suits the omega type does anyone know if the omega faceplates will fit in and work on the stereo's that come with lcd they look the same maybe it could be an easy swap?