Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new battery for Vs Commy - any ideas?

Filth7948

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
hey
just bought new work bus cheap vs commy $1700, great nick outside, few other bits & peices need tidying up tho...
its bit sluggish to start, and the battery in it now is stuffed, looks old and leaking (and the good ol sparky i am i still havent metered across battery to see if has charge) but i was gonna replace battery and strip back leads and connect new batter terminal clamps..also i read a old thread bout some wire coming off alternator under the clam shell cover which im gonna replace also..enuff of my ramble i just wanna kno wot people recomment battery wise, its only go big a tidy work car, no pumpn stereo or nuffin but just wanna kno the basics of whcih batttery to buy, + limited to only having a supercheap auto and autopro in this town :(

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just got a new battery the other week,its a heavy 600 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) ,its AC delco brand and cost $120 from a place in tamworth here called DTM,they sell all sorts of different batteries for mobile phones,cordless phones,cars,bikes, golf carts etc.I dont know if they have shops elsewhere or if its just here.I called a few different places and they wanted up to $180 for the same size battery,so its worth calling around a few different places for prices.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
get one with more CCA i wouldn't go under 550ish i got a 480 in mine atm and it's crap in winter slow to start it's 3yrs old now so i might get a new one with more CCA. I checked in supercheap and repco for some reason they dont have higher CCA ones for the VS so go with brett the AC Delco should be the go.

It looks like youve got the rest covered :)

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Thats a good deal Brett. I got a Sprint Auto one for $120 and its only 480 CCA, I looked in a few places for 550ish-600 CCA batteries but they all wanted close to $200 so settled for the Sprint one.

munga2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hey mate prob bit to late b ut if your hard up for cash just put a standard battery in it!! lick your longest fingerger for a bit buy a voltage reg (mayb rn60) install it then go pkoew up ypur boss's bum wit that finger!! chances are its the brushes bein thatold!!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Filth7948

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
thanks heaps guys, not hard up for cash but only work car so not fussed on wasting any $$ more than i need to, thanks for your help im searching round now...

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Just a thought - it may be the existing battery is not charging properly. Had this issue with my VR - it was the wire from the alternator to the battery. The first 6 inches from the alternator end almost crumbled when I bent it. This wire was underspeced by Holden, and the hot location causes it to overheat and crystalise after 120,000km or so. Worth checking.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
Just a thought - it may be the existing battery is not charging properly. Had this issue with my VR - it was the wire from the alternator to the battery. The first 6 inches from the alternator end almost crumbled when I bent it. This wire was underspeced by Holden, and the hot location causes it to overheat and crystalise after 120,000km or so. Worth checking.

^^ +1 and dont they snap off at the alternator sometimes too? the fitting is poor to the alternator from recollection, easy to check

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
^^ +1 and dont they snap off at the alternator sometimes too? the fitting is poor to the alternator from recollection, easy to check

Yep, that's another issue. Volatage regulator can be stuffed too.

But 99.9% of the time sparkies will just tell you "it's the alternator" to get the extra $$$