Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New battery had terminals reversed when installed Pls help

Bongo

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS 5ltr Statesman D/Fuel
OK whilst I was interstate wife had the VS 5ltr Statesman and the battery died, so father inlaw went and bought a new battery. No problem YET.
BUT when he put it in he placed the Neg on pos and then place pos on neg for " a second until he realized it sparked unusually. NOW the car has gremlins to the MAX.... So where should one start looking or is there a sure fire issue. Some issues include: Flashing dash lights, intermit indicators, Sunroof not auto anymore, can stall whilst driving, fails to start on Gas in the same ease it used to and I'm sure I'll find more.

So I really need some advise.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I refuse to help until you change your avatar......

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Best get you Father in law to handle this one. It's going to cost him plenty with things all burnt out. Is the vehicle mobile? If it is best to have Father in law come with you to your favorite auto electrician. If not mobile a flat tow.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I accidentally did this with my old amp, everything past the fuse links was destroyed, I really hope this isn't the case with your cars electrics.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
You can start by replacing your voltage regulator in the back of the alternator , repco sell them about $55 , take the old one out & show them , make sure you get an identical replacement. See how it runs then....

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
i'm keen to hear the vertict on this....

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Ummm, just about everything electrical would have been put at risk. ECU and gas management black box would be suspect, diodes may have blown inside alternator (separate issue to the regulator possibly being damaged, as colgf has suggested). stereo probably won't be happy either. Best to start by checking all fuses, seeing if the alternator is charging properly when the engine is running, then try swapping ecus to see if it runs any better. Can you give a better description of what the dash lights are doing?