Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new box for SPL

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
so i'm starting to think about a new box for my sub, at the moment i have a 32hz tune but i feel like i am missing out on a few extra dB's when i go to comps, i havn't designed the box yet, i was thinking of having the port through the middle seat, and double thickness so 32mm thick throughout the hole box.

it's going to be very similar to the one i have now but with a external port and i'm not sure about the raised bit just yet, thinking of designing it without that, so i was looking at around 6cf for one 18. but i want a high tuned port for SPL.

so what i am wondering, what tune should i do the port for the best SPL? i was thinking around 37hz, or would i get more spl with a higher tune but then would i lose too much in SQ? i want it to sound good aswell as it is my daily.

i've added in attachments what the box looks like for those or havn't seen it.

i'm not planning on building it for a while, just cbf yet haha.

but thanks for having the time to read this and jot down a reply.

Attachments

• 261220113787.jpg
    261220113787.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,609

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
1. Are you sure you care about SQ?
2. Didn't you just recently build this box, aimed at SPL?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
1. Are you sure you care about SQ?
2. Didn't you just recently build this box, aimed at SPL?

the box i built was for a bit of both, i'm very happy with it and the numbers i get now. i want to go higher in the tune to get better numbers in competitions but in the same time, i don't want it to sound like poo. I haven't really heard a high tuned box before while knowing the tune of it.

plus, i want the benefit of having the port built properly to fit the ski hole and sealing it off (most probably)

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
unless you try it, you won't know.

however, port firing forward through the ski port, and woofer still in the boot firing up probably won't work.

how much power are you running? below the tuning of a ported box, cone extursion increases rather rapidly, so you may exceed the woofers limits if you tune higher, but still use it for music.

37hz should still be ok though, won't sound too bad, and depending how much power you have, you might want to set a sub sonic filter ;)

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
unless you try it, you won't know.

however, port firing forward through the ski port, and woofer still in the boot firing up probably won't work.

how much power are you running? below the tuning of a ported box, cone extursion increases rather rapidly, so you may exceed the woofers limits if you tune higher, but still use it for music.

37hz should still be ok though, won't sound too bad, and depending how much power you have, you might want to set a sub sonic filter ;)

i'm all up for trying it, building boxes is fun :), i have a 3000watt amp on it, the sub itself is getting about 1800watts when cranked.

i also have the 6x9 holes. so the sub can breathe through them?

Ports looks on the small side does it chuff?

the port i have now is 5x60cm and it is half the box size in depth