Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new box for SPL

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The port is too narrow at 5cm i reckon it's going to chuff like crazy and won't sound any good. I don't understand the low tuning either, why buy an 18 that plays lower and tune it below the cars peak resonat fq and still above anything that's musical and suited to an 18'' driver...

Oh and another thing, i think you've rushed into this and you have a couple of design fllaws. You say the port can't be any taller because the driver will hit it, well then the port should have been built on the side not on the bottom below the driver magnet. Also, from what i can see you won't have any acsess to the port for tuning. An spl box isn't just built and done with, there's a lot of tuning and testing involved. You need to make the enclosure so yu can acses the port and modify the tuning.

If you can't do this with a slot design, then sticl with a round port. You can have to the port partially in / out of the enclosure until you decide on the length after testing.

Last edited:

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
did you read the bit that this is the box he's currently using for music, and that he's looking to build a NEW box for spl... or were you too busy telling him why his current design is flawed?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
did you read the bit that this is the box he's currently using for music, and that he's looking to build a NEW box for spl... or were you too busy telling him why his current design is flawed?

Well the wtf is the sub box in the picture? his current box is painted black, so he must of built the one in the picture at some point. He said he wants a high tune, then said 37hz, which isn't high. If the box in the picture is the one he is reffering to well then yes the design is flawed....

did you read my post and gather i was giving constructive critisism, or were you to busy trying to tell me off?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
so what i am wondering, what tune should i do the port for the best SPL? i was thinking around 37hz, or would i get more spl with a higher tune but then would i lose too much in SQ? i want it to sound good aswell as it is my daily.

Asking about sound quality... You run a single 18" and are asking about sound quality...

Two 12" in a better designed enclosure would push more DB than your single 18, And sound a MILLION times better, You'll get rid of all that muddy SLOW bass.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, Your car is not designed as an SPL car, we can all tell from your mods. But you are trying to get both SPL & SQ.

You need to figure out what you are REALLY after.

An then ask again.

Cheers
Mat

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Asking about sound quality... You run a single 18" and are asking about sound quality...

Two 12" in a better designed enclosure would push more DB than your single 18, And sound a MILLION times better, You'll get rid of all that muddy SLOW bass.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, Your car is not designed as an SPL car, we can all tell from your mods. But you are trying to get both SPL & SQ.

You need to figure out what you are REALLY after.

An then ask again.

Cheers
Mat
Size of the driver has nothing to do with slow and muddy bass, cheap drivers, poorly built and tuned enclosures and such will do that to you.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
There is many a high end 18" That still produce muddy bass.

They were never designed for SQ, As the majority of people that run them have also aided in design mainly for the SPL series.

Cheers
Mat

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
lol, i did mention the box in the picture is my current one, showing those who don't know already when i built it.

i want spl for competing, like i said, i havn't designed anything yet. i was mainly asking about tune. i really like how mine sounds but i wanna go higher in dB without losing to much on how it sounds. capisce.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Could I suggest, Two setup? One for competing, One for every day use...

???

Means you get boot space again

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Could I suggest, Two setup? One for competing, One for every day use...

???

Means you get boot space again

i guess so :p, either way i want to be able to remove to change a tire if i have to, i can already now. i just have to un plug some wires and take box out.