Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New brake caliper or just new slide pins?

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hey legends,

I have just replaced a shotty wheel bearing on the front LHS which I believe has caused wear to my slide pins on the brake caliper due to the abnormal forces from the disc not running true.

Basically wondering if I should just buy a caliper rebuild kit with new slide pins (definitely wear marks on old ones) OR get a wrecked caliper as the slide pin bores may also be worn? There is a significant amount of lateral/ radial play amongst their slide pins and their associated bores both top and bottom. Just don't want to fork out for new slide pins then find that I need a new caliper.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

PS. for anyone who has replaced a bearing/hub assembly- did you just chuck the o ring? Seems it would do stuff all to water ingress due to recesses in the stub axle.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From the Holden VT/VX Service Manual:

"Prior to installation, it is also vital that the sealing O-ring located around the mounting flange, is checked to ensure its serviceability. Failing to adequately seal the hub to steering knuckle interface, will cause water to be drawn into the cavity in the steering knuckle, during the normal heating and cooling cycle of vehicle operation."