Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Canberra Member First Post Holden Commodore needing advice about Oil Overfilled

DirkOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Epica CDXI 2.5l Auto, Lumina 2001 Auto
Hi, I'm in Canberra and just bought a Commodore 2007 CDXI Auto..
I'm totally new to Holden Brand.
Leather is perfect. Paint and panel is perfect.
It's been sitting for a couple of years and the engine is currently overfilled about 6cm above the max level on the oil dipstick.
Coolant is also very low, barely covering the bottom of the bottle.
1st job is to get it home on a trailer
2nd Battery is totally flat, so I'll be charging it with 9 Stage Century Charger, then take the battery to Battery World for a load test.
3rd Drain the oil totally and refill to the correct level. My question on this is "would the engine have been damaged by the oil being overfilled as much as that?"
EDIT:- Search online answered my question thoroughly...
https://www.thoughtco.com/start-car-been-in-storage-726206
Can anyone recommend places to go to in Canberra for a thorough going over, Major Service and Rego Inspection?
(that is, if it starts/runs)
I'm thinking that the tyres may have flat spots on them, so I'll remove the wheels and take them to the place I've been getting my tyres from, so they can check if they're OK.
EDIT:- Good article which explains "Tyre Flat Spotting" https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42
That's enough questions for now! Go!

Last edited:

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Sounds more like you’ve got yourself a Holden Epica. Be a 2.5L V6 I think. They made by Daewoo.

Anyway, sounds like someone doesn’t know anything about servicing it if it’s got that much oil in it.

Just get it to a garage and get them to change the oil, change the battery and get it going for you, and then you’ll be able to know if the car is good.

DirkOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds more like you’ve got yourself a Holden Epica. Be a 2.5L V6 I think. They made by Daewoo.

Anyway, sounds like someone doesn’t know anything about servicing it if it’s got that much oil in it.

Just get it to a garage and get them to change the oil, change the battery and get it going for you, and then you’ll be able to know if the car is good.

Oh no, Daewoo? DAMN
Thanks for your reply
IMG_20190306_211242.jpg

Are you saying it's not a "Real Holden"
Thanks for the advice, I'll do as much as I can and get a thorough check, Service, Fluids change. I just hope it's engine is not damaged by the overfill.
Otherwise it'll be up for grabs!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What made you think it was a commodore?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Definitely not a real Holden, or even a Commodore. The only Holdens actually made IN Australia, the Commodore and direct variants, and the Holden Cruze sedan and hatch from 2010ish - never the Cruze wagon.

But the Epica CDXi is the top model of them so it has some fruit on it.

Excess oil can lead to the engine “gurgling” and will be seriously burning some oil.

DirkOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
What made you think it was a commodore?
The Holden Badge, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, as I've never owned a Holden myself. I just assumed it was a Commodore.
I admit that I have a lot to learn, so welcome advice and comments.
My youngest sister did own a pristine EK, which was so immaculate that it still had the protective clear plastic on the door cards! Sadly, was hit head-on by a bus while stationary, just after I had totally rebuilt her motor.
(The EK engine overheated when the water pump belt let go and broke the wire to the temperature Guage, so no warning until it boiled dry and cooked the head.)
Lucky for her, she dived over the bench seat just before impact with the bus to save herself.
The EK was crushed, with the front bumper pushed all the way up to the windscreen. All doors still opened.
They built them tough in those days!
The newly built motor was put into an EJ wagon shell and sold.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Has a somewhat interesting engine though (even if you can't do anything to it), transverse mounted straight 6 designed by Porsche. AFAIK this engine was designed and organised before GM bought Daewoo.

DirkOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has a somewhat interesting engine though (even if you can't do anything to it), transverse mounted straight 6 designed by Porsche. AFAIK this engine was designed and organised before GM bought Daewoo.
That's interesting about the Porsche Designed Engine Transverse Straight 6
(I haven't got the engine cover off yet)
I'll be doing my normal first process after any purchase, which is a very thorough clean, inside, outside, Engine bay and underside.
(It's really good to check undersides, as it can show up poor panel & paint repairs)
Following the detail:- Air, oil, fuel filter, oil flush, oil change, brake pad check & bleed, coolant flush.
As it's been sitting undriven for a long time, the fuel has probably gone off, so I'll probably drain the tank, add fresh fuel & Injector cleaner.
I'll have to find out if there were any common problems associated with the 6 cylinder Engines, Auto Transmissions?
Grossly overfilled oil is worrying me a bit.
It won't start it until I've drained the oil and refilled to the correct level. Battery is flat anyway, so that's going to have a rejuvenation charge, load check & replacement if needed.
Service History which has stamps, but not many copies of the actual invoices, so I'll ask nicely for copies from the places.
The Carsales Review on the CDXi Transverse 6 were much better than the 4 cylinder Model. More research needed!
The CDXI, as DAJOKER said, is the premium model, with "all the fuit"
I'm pretty happy about that, and it has a Sunroof too!
The body, interior leather and paint looks immaculate, except for the headlights which have hazy plastics. (I've succesfully restored headlights in worse condition)

Last edited:

DirkOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before you go filling anything, make sure it is petrol and not diesel like this one
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Epica-2008/OAG-AD-16866105/?Cr=25
Thanks for the Caution⚠️
Mine is definately petrol, but I've seen a young lady filling her brand new car with diesel. It was her very first car too!
She had only just taken delivery and had driven it from the Ford Dealer next door.
I made the Dealer push it into their workshop. D/H Salesman wanted to just drive it into the workshop, saying.
"She'll be right mate"
Great introduction to Customer Service!

ON TOPIC:-
Service & Warranty Booklet
Date of Delivery 05/10/07
Model: EPICA 2.5L CDXI AUTO SEDAN
MODEL # EP88CM69384
ENGINE# X2501054691N

Last edited: