Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new car broken down

OVA17

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP EXECUTIVE
Hows this for luck, bought my car last wednesday, then on friday (2 days later) i just left my g/f house was driving for about 5mins and my car started missing thought nothing of it keeped driving, and wouldnt go any faster. Pulled over gave it a bit of a rev (held it at 2000RPM) for 5 secs and it went away. Back on the road driving along and started missing again did the same thing, again and again and again. Then the engine light come on while still driving and thought F*CK pulled over and turned engine off. rung mechanic and told him what happened he said that its proberly the Crank Angle Sensor. Then he said to tip water over it let it cool and try starting it, didnt start again. Good old RACQ free-2-go and got it towed for free. After reading this thread ((http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=36661)). And they were talking about fuel pumps, coil packs, Crank Angle Sensors. how do i work out what it is??? I started the car today for the first time since breaking down and it didnt miss a beat. Need to find out what it is, as i dont want to pay to get crank angle fixed then still have the problem then getting something else fixed then still not working. any help would be great.

KADE

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Check the spark plugs first.
If its the fuel pump the fuel pressure would be off, so check the fuel pressure.
Also hold a spanner on each fuel injector and listen for a click from the other end of the spanner while the car is running...if there is a regular click the fuel injectors are working fine.

Also if you wanna find out which cylinder/cylinders are missing... start the car and have it idling then disconnect the wiring to 1 fuel injector at a time FOR NO LONGER THAN 6 SECONDS...meanwhile have some1 watch the rev guage...if the idle speed doesnt change then that cylinder is missing.

OVA17

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP EXECUTIVE
thanks 1991_vn2nv. injectors just got cleaned and serviced. ran the car for 20mins idling and didnt miss a beat today. i disconected the battery over night the other night maybe it cleared the computer or something. will be checking plugs and **** tomoz. leads are brand new so would say the plugs are too but ill wait til tomoz and let ya know how i went. bloody cars and computers.

KADE

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I'd put my money on the crank angle sensor or the DFI module and/or coil pack. Your symptoms are too severe to be plugs or leads. My car did exactly the same thing. Then one day it wouldn't start at all and recorded a no crank circuit error code. After I replaced the CAS the car seemed fine but then I noticed a small miss hear and there so replaced both DFI and Coil to be on the safe side. It hasn't missed a beat since. With that said I also had an ECU fail a while ago which resulted in the car missing and stalling. But the error code told me the ECU had failed.

I wouldn't replace anything until the problem occurs again. And, next time the problem occurs read the error code -it will most likely tell you what is wrong and save you money. BTW a CAS will not set you back that much under a $100 to buy and if you can't put it in yourself a mechanic should do it for no more than $100 cash in hand.

OVA17

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP EXECUTIVE
**UPDATE** got car diagnostic on thursday arvo, ran no codes, mechanic thinks its the fuel pump as it only happened when it was on the line above E. so filled her up and its sweet. mechanic said to keep it above 1/4 tank so the fuel pump is surmurged. then going to get it fixed in a couple weeks. checked steering fluid resorvior and it was bone dry, filled it up. so gotta check it in the morning to see where it is. then put my new BLING BLING battery terminals on. (earth gold one and positive a gold one with digital volt read out). so might be up for some power steering lines. or if thats not leaking ill be up for some taper cover seals/gaskets. but its all good. wil update. thanks guys

KADE

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Sounds like the fuel pump

OVA17

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP EXECUTIVE
one (earth) i got given, and the positive one, havent picked it up yet so dont know how much. plus i got friends who work at strathfield who give me awesome deals. i think its brand is aeropro. dont know til i pic it up. Power steering fluid was still full so thats good. drove the car all week end and it went good.

KADE