Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New car new problems.

lurkin91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss 5.7 6 speed
Hey guys cheers for reading, I just brought a near mint vx ss , couple things concern me too so maybe you can help (I'm sure most of these questions have been answered but yeah cheers) . It has a random squeak on drivers side that sounds like its rotating so I'm going to change all the pulleys, if you guys know of any upgraded pulley kits please let me know. It has a crunch noise in the back right drivers side but only when hitting bumps or accelerating hard, I thought maybe it was the plastic wheel guard but have confirmed it isnt , and there is an fair bit of heat coming off the gear shift boot. Had a quick look and the actual bottom boot to stop road noise and what not is still in place, it's not on fire but you wouldn't leave your phone there. And lastly it has a weird gas smell even when the air-con is off but a fridgey at work said you wouldn't smell it if it was coming from a/c any help would be great cheers.

Attachments

• mms_img479354550.jpg
    mms_img479354550.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 182

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well first to say that, Its not so mint

Splash water on belt when running engine, see if reduces noise
Could just need some dry lube

1. Check pulleys
Brand and part nos for replacement -
Nuline
Nuline EP024 - Engine Idler Pulley
Nuline EP025 - A/C Auto Tensioner Pulley + A/C Idler Pulley (price is each, so double for two)
Nuline EP026 - Engine Tensioner Pulley

2iUBbx5.png

to3aNfY.png

2. Crunchie noise
Suspension related, check bushes but mainly check to see if when going over bumps if the tyres are scrubbing the wheel guard, may need to get guards rolled if fitting wheels with wrong offset

What size wheels installed? eg mine 235 / 35 / 19
Lowered too much perhaps?

Could also be flogged CV Joints
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/suspect-i-killed-a-rear-cv-joint-last-night.240887/

3. Air con
Not a easy one but sounds like air con evaporator is clogged and smells
Remember as your fridgie said, its a closed unit. No gas is actually allowed to leave it and like a home air con.

So what else can the smell be? After confirming no gas smell from the engine bay at same time then more then likely years of crud.

Instead of dash out 8 hour job to get to evaporator core, can drill into side of it and spray a hose.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ning-evaporator-without-removing-dash.209935/