Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEW CAR WARRANTY

NME

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS V Redline VF Series II Sportswagon
Floormats were optional for the person who bought it new (they were always on the option list - never standard) ... floor mats do wear out, and given that the car's a minimum of 3 years old, it's certainly possible the person using it wore them out. They probably bought mats for the front & back, since you have them in the back, but the dealer thought the front ones were too scruffy to keep in the car.
The car is practically brand new. It had only done 3760km’s

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Schmick is worth it. $50 dollars to fix gutted wheels. I had someone scratch my bumper. 50 bux and they did that to

Reactions: NME

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I have no idea and have never heard of the Schmick coating

Don’t know why this sounds like Shmuck Coating to me. No offence, but such protection packages (esp. from the dealer) are very rarely worth it - and $2000 could have been better spent elsewhere.

@NME - wish you a speedy recovery & many more (s)miles with your ride. To hell with Holden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don’t know why this sounds like Shmuck Coating to me. No offence, but such protection packages (esp. from the dealer) are very rarely worth it - and $2000 could have been better spent elsewhere.
As someone who was always pretty dubious about the value of those “ceramic coating” deals, I organised to have one applied after going to a recommended repairer who started their professional life as a detailer (show car level stuff) & who told me the car-park damage would buff out. Given we were already going to be without the car for a few days & insurance was paying to do a few panels, I paid for the whole car to be properly buffed & coated.

Anyhoo, a year later, I’ve been super lazy staying home every day all day, and the poor Commode hadn’t been washed in 3 months. And yet after a wash, which felt all smooth & not-scratchy under the hands as the dirt just slid off, it’s all good & still super shiny.
I can’t necessarily say it’s worth the money, but the black magicks do work.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I paid a further $2000 for some sort of paint protection/warranty, named “Shmick” and an interior protection/warranty. On my initial inspection of the vehicle, I noticed a couple of scratches on the driver-side.
The sales rep suggested I get the Schmick protection package, and that all scuffs and scratches would be removed before the Schmick coating was put on, returning the all over appearance of the car to brand new.
Some two weeks later when I turned up to finalise the purchase , I was dismayed to see a significant scuff mark still there, and a scratch on the front left fender. . I had to waste a whole afternoon while I sat in the dealers as they polished the scuffs and scratches out and they supposedly reapplied the Schmick Stuff.
Think I was had.

A professional detailer would take a minimum of one day to do paint correction depending on the condition of the surface then add a couple of layers of sealer and in most cases it's a two day job at best.

Then add another day for the interior and longer if you wished to have the rims sealed as well.

So sitting around for the afternoon while they fixed the scuffs and scratches and added sealer says to me they did a dodgy job.

And the final cost from a pro would be a bit over a thousand dollars.

Yeah I'd agree with you, I think you were had.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I can’t necessarily say it’s worth the money

That right there is the point.

All coatings afford a certain level of protection - when done properly. Money is probably the only limit on how much protection one can get. Higher grade products and trained pros would certainly be not cheap. OP would have been better off paying a pro to do the work on his car.

I use the Meguiars Hybrid ceramic ;) wax. I’ve had it on for around 4 months now. Water beading is excellent and crap/ dirt does not stick to the car. Is it as good as ceramic coating - hell no. But it certainly gives me my money’s worth.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Schmick is not a coating. It's a service that does small panel fixes and wheel fixes. I wouldn't get them to do a coating. That's what detailers a for. Schmick use motorone coatings. They work if a detailer applies them, but they're not detailers and never last.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2

@NME - wish you a speedy recovery & many more (s)miles with your ride. To hell with Holden.
Schmick is a panel repair service not a coating.

NME

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS V Redline VF Series II Sportswagon
Schmick is worth it. $50 dollars to fix gutted wheels. I had someone scratch my bumper. 50 bux and they did that to
Thanks for the reassurance.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Schmick is worth it. $50 dollars to fix gutted wheels.
the only reason i got it. i think it cost me next to nothing, a couple of hundred bucks. $300?
i figured over 5 years id probably use more than that getting wheels fixed. so far only had one done, but i do have another one with rash which i havent bothered with just yet.

A professional detailer would take a minimum of one day to do paint correction depending on the condition of the surface then add a couple of layers of sealer and in most cases it's a two day job at best.

Then add another day for the interior and longer if you wished to have the rims sealed as well.
yep with 500km on the clock, my detailer had my car for 3 days, but i obviously have a black car, so preparation took a bit longer than most

Reactions: NME