Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Car

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
hay i just brought a vl kinda as a project car

its a 1986 vl berlina manual

i have a couple small problems

firstly when i am running my stereo with my subby and amp when i am not driving my stereo will shut off if a have it up loud is this a problem with the alterantor or the battery

sencondly there is a grinding noise while driving and it only happens in teh first 3 gears any ideas on what the problem would be

Thirdly i cant seem to find the fuse box that is meant to be under the stearing wheel where would it be if someone has moved it

and lastly my second fuse (highbeam) has melted to the fuse box and the wires for that and the first fuse (lowbeam light) have been cut how do i get the melted fuse out and can i recconect the wires so i have decent headlights?

all help would be appriciated

-Cheers

Last edited:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
fuse under the coloum might only be the auto vls and manuals didnt have them, mine dosent have them under there 2, but i dont think there is anything of importance there as its all controld by the fuse box in the engine bay,

just tought of some this dose the berlina have all the optionals eg pwr mirrors/windows central locking? as it might only b there 4 the full optinal cars

gear box, mine has a simual thing but in fourth. it is apparntly cos my shaft is bent slightly and thus causing my thrush bearings to stuff up quick
where ur could be the shaft that has 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th gear on is slightly bend causing it. im not possitve on this as i cant hear the cer first hand nore feel it when driving
dose it happen when u try putting the car under force like accelrating quick?

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
yerr im not entirly sure about the accelerating fast coz i dont do it very often im soft :p

and ive got a calais dash so it has the power side mirrors and i have one power window switch but niether work

any ideas on teh fuse box or the battery

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
the dash is noraml on the berlina series it was optinal for pwr mirrors , power windows and central locking,
the little square kick panel that pulls off above your right knee is where the fuses should be if they are there.
are u checking there or above the pedels?

and lastly my second fuse (highbeam) has melted to the fuse box and the wires for that and the first fuse (lowbeam light) have been cut how do i get the melted fuse out and can i recconect the wires so i have decent headlights?
this is common it is beacuse someone has replaced the light bulbs with higher power bulbs causing it to draw more currnt thought the line, the fuse rail isnt able to with stand the extra power and tends to melt, people say put big fuses in but its bad as then the cables will take the full force of the volts at run the risk of super heating and catching alight, best bet is getting a seond hand rail and replacing it but warning it will happen again, people say i you place a glass fuse holder in teh line it will solve the problem but that i am unsure,
or if u want a new heat proff rail on ebay the was a block who makes custom rails that will with stand the heat hand look flashy to, he was on justcommies not that long ago offering them

your cd play cutting out i am not sure, best bet is posting in the electrical section off the fourm as the sparkie boys are the best bet of picking the prob, unless some1 else can fill u in

just rember if you want more info on anything that i havnt coverd trying a search up the top, wont hurt

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
no probs, glad to help

EDIT: 900th Post, yay

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
its probably the amp dropping out cos you don't have a big enough power cable. what wattage amp and subs do you have? is the amp only running the subs? what guage power wire do you have?

groucho

Reaction score
The fuse issue is best resolved with an in line circuit breaker.My sparky fitted one but it wouln't be hard to DIY.Get bits and ask a car sparky for tips or get him to fit it.Common prob. This fault maybe contributing to amp prob too.Make sure you have good earths everywhere.Bestaluk Groucho:unsure:

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
the amp is ruffly 600w peak and i am using 8 gage wire with a 30 amp fuse

and the amp isnt just dropping out whole head unit shuts off and the battery light comes on a lot aswell