Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Clarion Head Unit. Steering Wheel Controls?

spokkeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman
Hey guys, first post and certainly not my last.

I've just bought my first car - a 1996 VS Statesman. The previous owners took out the factory CD stacker because it didn't work, so I've been thinking I might as well put in a new head unit for MP3 CD capability. I'll fit a lot more music that way.

I've been looking at this one: Clarion CZ309A

It looks like it supports steering wheel controls used in the VS out of the box. Can anyone confirm this for me? Otherwise, are there any other units that will support wheel controls? Clarion is the only brand I've seen that says it does definitely work with CAT connections.

Also, I'm assuming the volume/mute controls will stay the same but the 'channel' controls will be for track skipping. Is that true?

I'll most likely need help installing, is there anywhere around the QLD western suburbs (Indooroopilly, Toowong etc) good for this, or is JB Hi-Fi fine for that?

One last question; it says on the feature list "6-channel audio pre-out; 4-channel × 50 watts" What does this mean? My car came with 8 speakers, how does this work? I'm not looking to replace speakers just yet.

Cheers and sorry for the long post - I just wanted to get all my questions out there.
spokkeh

HSVchixy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY Clubsport
so long as the jb installer is qualified for warranty purposes (which they should be) there's no harm in letting them install it

spokkeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman
Can anyone vouch for completecarsound.com.au at Enoggera to buy this unit from?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you will still need the CAT module but instead of having to mount IRLED you can use direct control on it.

razza717

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S2
i have a VT Calais with a CAT10 installed controlling a kenwood MP3 player. the mode button switches between radio, CD etc. the only problem i have with the CAT system is that the sender is mounted next to the passengers grab handle and if theres a tall person with the seat foreward it can block the sender and it wont work. other than that its definately worth buying though. i got mine done at the local autobarn and its worth getting proffesionally installed cos its got a lifetime warranty.

spokkeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman
Cool, I will have to save up for that wire though. It's not a huge problem right now, just a nice thing to have. Anyone able to answer the last question about the audio pre-out?

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
Ive got a CZ509A, the same headunit but a couple of models higher, great headunit, i love how it has direct ipod, but with the cord coming from the back, bluetooth calling is good to.
In regards to pre outs from what your saying im thinking you have 3 set of preouts. From these you run rca cables to an amplifier and your speakers off the amp. You could have three different amps, 4 channels or even 6 channels and have all your speakers hooked up that way.

you can also use your factory wiring which is probably what your using now, this runs the speakers off your head unit.

Last edited: