Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New cluster missing functions!!

Crackpot

he who sits in the corner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive MY06
Hey all. I tried searching for missing computer functions but it all came up with after market H/U installations. Now I do have an aftermarket stereo, but my old cluster retained all functions (except for stereo functions, of course). Now I got a Berlina cluster programmed and installed and it lost half of its functions (headlight timings, locks, etc). Does this have any direct relation to aftermarket H/U? Surely a Level 2 BCM can handle everything the Level 1 could...? :unsure:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
certain functions in the bcm need to be activated- had the boot release activated on a mid bcm (for ute remote unlock was not an active feature, the bcm was the original so no changeover etc) head unit shouldnt have anything to do with it just unplug and put new stereo in, I would say some issues with the programming of the cluster maybe, maybe contact who did it for you and explain problem

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
agreed, its all about matching the bcm with the features u have or dont have.

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
sorry to say the head unit has everything to do with the missing features. I have kept mine and plug it back in when I want to change the features such as exit delays. a pain in the arse but I'm too cheap to take the car to a dealer that will probably tell me that it can not be fixed and still try to charge me for that bit of information.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
U need to get the cluster reflashed with new software your old cluster would of already had the update done hence why u had all the options with your aftermarket head unit

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
sorry to say the head unit has everything to do with the missing features. I have kept mine and plug it back in when I want to change the features such as exit delays. a pain in the arse but I'm too cheap to take the car to a dealer that will probably tell me that it can not be fixed and still try to charge me for that bit of information.
Exactly right, You will lose a whole heap of options without the stock radio installed. eg timer lights, lock/unlock features ect.
The cars modules (cluster, bcm ect) look for the communication from one another.. if the radios "message" is missing, it disables certain features.
Some of the newer clusters *may* be able to do the changes with the new headunit in.

U need to get the cluster reflashed with new software your old cluster would of already had the update done hence why u had all the options with your aftermarket head unit
Not always the case, think it depends on the cluster type eg hsv, lvl3.
I upgraded a spare lvl1 cluster to newest software version (5.00.2 or something around that), and still doesnt display the options without the headunit.

Crackpot

he who sits in the corner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive MY06
Ok so just to make sure, I reinstalled my old cluster and I got all the features back. So I'm pretty sure it's not the head unit. I am going to take the new one back and see if I can get it reflashed or something.

Will update.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Exactly right, You will lose a whole heap of options without the stock radio installed. eg timer lights, lock/unlock features ect.
The cars modules (cluster, bcm ect) look for the communication from one another.. if the radios "message" is missing, it disables certain features.
Some of the newer clusters *may* be able to do the changes with the new headunit in.

Not always the case, think it depends on the cluster type eg hsv, lvl3.
I upgraded a spare lvl1 cluster to newest software version (5.00.2 or something around that), and still doesnt display the options without the headunit.

interesting, son has aftermarket h/u stereo etc and all his functions seem to work, has a mid bcm in his ute, so makes for some good reading now, want to know more why somework and some dont, his is 04/05 vz, his swc dont work but that seems to be all

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
does your son have a PAC SWI module installed for the steering wheel controls?

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
no PAC module fitted for swc, he's not to concerned, he is aware that this type of module can be fitted to get them to work but hasn't worried about it (i showed him what was available, up to him)