Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New clutch/flywheel, gearbox tight

MaxVXS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2
Hey guys, I have just had a new dual mass flywheel, clutch and spigot bearing put in my vx s, when changing gears the gearbox seems a lot tighter and you have to sort of force it into gear from 1st - 2nd and 2nd- 3rd, 4th and 5th seem a little easier to put into gear. I was told by the mechanic when I picked it up a week ago that the gearbox will seem tight for a while until the spigot bearing wears in a little but doesnt seem to have settled down at all, I am taking a wild guess and thinking maybe the gearbox needs more oil or something needs to be bled a little more, is the mechanic right that the gearbox will seem tight for a while or could there be something else wrong that the mechanic hasnt done?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is the clutch adjustable at all? Does the pedal engage lower than it used to?

MaxVXS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2
Thanks for the reply mate ;) , I dont know whether the clutch is adjustable lol, I was watching them as they were finishing it and the had to bleed something to do with the clutch to get it to go into gear, when they pulled the gearbox out also they said the spigot bearing fell off the end of the shaft and had about 2mm play. The pedal is springy and you can feel it as soon as you put pressure on the clutch pedal, also grabs just as you are letting the pedal out, it grabs a lot sooner than it did before it was fixed.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There were some issues with the spiggot bearing in the VX's but I would say it sounds like and adjustment problem. It should engage about 1/2 way.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
The only thing adjustable about the clutch is the pedal. If it's grabbing too low maybe adjust it out a bit. There is a locknut on the pushrod attached to the pedal. Just loosen this locknut and the middle part of the pushrod will turn. Move the pedal out max. 1cm and see how it goes.