Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Clutch

ryan_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5-speed
Hi im in need of a new clutch very soon, when i floor it, it revs out as if i had the clutch in for a few moments.
So anyway, i was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest/best place to get a normal clutch in Sydney. Has anyone done this recently and how much did it cost all up? I saw a clutch kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-COMMODORE-VL-Nissan-Skyline-6CYL-Clutch-Kit-HD_W0QQitemZ230015334393QQihZ013QQcategoryZ39382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this is a good price/product? is it all i need, and how much would the local mechanic charge to put it on?
Any help appreciated. Thanks

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
Ive heard unkind things said about supercheap's clutches

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Can't say I've heard of the brand, and well, it seems pretty damn cheap.

I paid 400 for mine when I got it ages back, that was 3 years ago however.

I went an exeddy heavy duty clutch, daiken is the manufacturer i believe. Should be able to pick it up cheaper now.

And it cost me 100 dollars for a friend of the family to drop the box, put the clutch on and that was it.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
The repco clutches aren't bad for just a standard clutch, but make sure they get the right model number they don't know their a$$ from their elbow sometimes.

I'm not sure of the brand coz it was a few years back but we got one for a mates gemmi and it went well after that.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
go a daikin exedy or a PBR. depending on your cars power and mods you may want a heavy duty clutch. if its turbo and running a fair bit of boost then run an organic material clutch.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
a HD clutch wouldn't go astray if you can afford it, they make driving around alot more interesting.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
how dose it make it much more intressing? because the heavyness of the clutch pedel? or dose it make it have a stronger bite for lunches etc?

bit new to the idea off clutch set ups and the gist of them, but what is the best set up, a hd clutch with lighten fly wheel? or what. as ive heard lightn fly wheels make you lose tourqe is this true

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
yes it is true. lightened flywheels do lose torque.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Just stick with the standard flywheel if you want - they'll have to skim a tiny bit off anyway when you get a new clutch so be sure to factor that into your prices. Usually about 50 dollars to get that done.

Heavy pedal, ahh I could never really notice with mine, the heavier pedal if anything felt better then alot of light pedalled cars I'd driven.

Just makes grabbing second gear/ third gear alot more fun.