Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore Racers

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by immortality, Oct 29, 2016.

1. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    New Commodore racers - Motorsport - Driven

[​IMG]

2. Gaiter

Gaiter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Thunder
    So.... They announce the release of this new Commodore body with a turbo 4cyl and a 6cyl that is so big they can't fit a turbo to it.

But then they talk about the new Commodore body being used with a twin turbo 6cyl. I love the internet sometimes! Time will tell. If they release a turbo 6cyl with AWD in a wagon body. I'm on it.

Rickster likes this.
  3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Don't forget that the race cars are absolutely nothing like the road cars; they're a custom chassis with the lightest-possible panels bolted to the outside which have a resemblance to the road car.

The chassis & suspension on the 2018 V6 car is probably barely any different to the 2017 car; there's absolutely no reason they wouldn't just put different panels on the outside & fit the turbo powertrain, except maybe for some slightly-different cooling-related challenges with the need for an intercooler (so slightly different holes up-front maybe). So it's not a 'body' per se, just exterior panels made to make the car look a bit like the road car ... in fact, does anyone know if there's any requirement to have remotely similar exterior dimensions?

The engine-bay in one of these cars has absolutely no similarity to the engine-bay in an Insignia. :)

koalasprint likes this.
  4. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
    it offends me that there's a pic pf Brocky's 05 in the OP.

that is all.

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I thought the current Supercar dimensions were already different to the road cars coz Car of the Future guidelines.

6. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon
    .. they might be new race cars

BUT THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THEY ARE COMMODORES!

Sports sedan more like it, space frame chassis and an unobtainable TTV6

and yes, that pic of 05 above is an insult to the 'man' and the car !

7. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    This is just consistent with the last 20+ years, then, innit? :)

8. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I don't know why people get so up in arms over this, it's category racing and this category has what it has - others have production cars. That's racing.

I miss production cars being top tier but the top end just isn't and has been for many years.

9. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    That’s because the spectator base has gone along with the ever so subtle changes to the ‘production cars’ since the demise of GroupA.
    The thin edge of the wedge was putting Falcon front suspensions under the Commodores for parity reasons, then shortening the VE wheelbase, sequential gearboxes, blah blah etc.
    And nobody really noticed or cared.
    COTY was brought in to contain costs, and that has really worked hasn’t it ?
    Who could have predicted that Brock’s mongrel A30 would form the basis for todays top category, rather than his XU1..
    As for following the red or blue, or a particular driver, it has got to the same stage as NRL where a club has a choice of 4 different uniforms to wear on the day and players swapping clubs mid season.
    They can stick a Corolla, or BMW 7 series body on a current chassis for all I care, I just don’t follow motor racing any more.

10. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon
    Actually... they did care
    and walked away from the sport.

Introducing the V8s in '95 was smart and the crowds grew but once they started
    sticking sedan panels on a space frame and introducing all this parity bullshit
    the TV and track audiences has got smaller .. and then they went overseas and
    the audience got smaller .....

meanwhile TCM and Classics and GT series have grown immensely in popularity

.. wonder why

11. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I think audiences are just as strong as they've always been (unless you can show evidence to the contrary) plenty of people do love to whine and wax lyrical about the days of Group A production cars with their questionable rules that allowed companies like Ford to produce the Sierra and Nissan to bring a twin turbo that realistically belonged in another category to the track not to mention those monster Monaro's that most definitely would have ended up in Group A, however there are plenty of production car categories that get almost zero support from said people who like to moan about the death of Group A - just sayin'.... V8SC is how it is - it's a category race with parity cars, it's a professional sport that's pretty much it. If you don't like it do go and support production car categories, they definitely need peoples support that's for damn sure.

12. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Exhiit A = me.

I used to love watching the sport but now ? Not so much. I will watch Bathurst, coz Bathurst but that is about it.

13. Gaiter

Gaiter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Thunder
    I used to watch it also, then it just became harder to tell which car was which due to all the advertising and shape changes.

I can tell a Holden from a Ford on the street a mile away, on the track I have to look at the badge sometimes. Haven't watched any since Volvo, Nissan etc etc joined in.

14. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    The best thing about V8 supertaxi's is the Kiwi lad who's giving it to your best and doing it with style/passion which the class lacked for many years before his arrival.....

I stopped watching em years ago, I'm NOT paying to watch that period.

15. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    I agree with a lot of the points made above, but from my perspective ( which goes back to Norm Beechey’s era ), my interest has dwindled during the last 10 ? years due to the lack of ‘racing’ as I remember it ................. The quickest car with the fastest driver won.
    Brake replacement and fuel stops were ‘as necessary’, not mandated. A lead built up by a fast driver was not lost as a result of a Safety Car. With all the computers and in-car communication today, it can’t be all that hard to freeze positions and intervals, and factor that in on resumption of play.
    When I lived in Melbourne and Sydney, I used to get to every meeting possible for the ATCC or Toby Lee, or even club meets, but now, distance precludes that. I would love to see every TCM live or TV, but that is not possible.
    Yep, us old blokes may lament what used to be, but SCA now, just don’t light my fire.
    ( But, I will most probably go to see them next year in Newcastle, IF the powers that be can get all their s**t in one pile.)

16. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    I have no interest in V8 Supercars at all, much prefer to watch TCM and Historic race meetings.