Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New computer

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Those Graphics cards you suggest are AGP not PCI-E, so Im not to sure why you suggested them, at a home user aspect it is cheaper to use PCI-E as it offers more then enough for any home user, or gamers.

how the hell can you think 4850's are AGP? HD4850's are the current mid range cards from ATI, they are pci e.
GIGABYTE - Product - Graphics Accelerator - Overview - GV-R485-512H-B

note it says "pci-e 2", quite clearly they are pci-e. i dunno how you think they are agp.

ive personally got a 4850, so i can vouch for them being pci-e, ill take a ****ing pic to prove it to you if you dont believe me.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
how the hell can you think 4850's are AGP? HD4850's are the current mid range cards from ATI, they are pci e.
GIGABYTE - Product - Graphics Accelerator - Overview - GV-R485-512H-B

note it says "pci-e 2", quite clearly they are pci-e. i dunno how you think they are agp.

ive personally got a 4850, so i can vouch for them being pci-e, ill take a ****ing pic to prove it to you if you dont believe me.

****ING CHILL MATE..... Sorry Yes its ATI, not AGP...... Been a long week.

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
****ING CHILL MATE..... Sorry Yes its ATI, not AGP...... Been a long week.

lol sorry mate, its just one of the dumbest things ive seen. i thought it was wierd as you seem like a guy that knows more about pc's than most people.

in regards to oc'ing the cpu, for a guy that wants a desktop i doubt 2.8ghz is necessary. while the q9550 is a good choice, a q8200/ q8300 at ~2.5ghz will do just nicely. and oc'ing it a 200mhz isnt gonna kill it, and aftermarket cooling isnt really needed for such a small overclock imo.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
mmmmm yeh i have recently chosen a lappy (hp dv6500) , they are very good for entertainment, general use and just basic gaming, they are also expensive, expensive for repairs, and from my experiences do have more problem like always overheating!!!!! i can play games but not as good

id go the desktop, because it sounds like you will benefit from it the most,
better for games, good for entertainment and will produce more performance. they are also cheaper to buy and repair and have less problems. i rekon a nice computer with a big quality screen will set it of for you

smith#29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs II exec
sorry late reply again

would be probably going vista home premium, sounds easy enough, as for screen, i got no idea with that either, just a quality screen as suggested would do, not really fussed that much.

thanx for all the input guys, been a big help, should be all the questions for now anyways lol,

cheers.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Heres just a quick run through from a custom build, all at cost price though, most custom PC builders wont put a markup on parts or a very little markup, but will cost you the time to assemble which is about an hour and maybe another hour to install windows if needed.

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-SE
CPU: Intel Q9550
RAM: Kingston DDR2 1066mhz 4gb (2 X 2gb)
Hard drive: Western Digital 1Tb Sata
Rom Drive: DVD Writer - Pioneer 216
Case: Collermaster 330-334 (could only price with the crappy OEM PSU today, but it would be 15-20 bux cheaper without one)
PSU: Coolermaster Extreme 650W
Graphics Card: 512mb 9600GT ASUS OR 1gb 9800GT Gigabyte (add $78)
Operating System: Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium OR Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate (add $128)

Monitors: BenQ 21.5" 2ms WS Full High Defnition E2200HD OR BenQ 24" 5ms WS G2400WD(add $77) OR BenQ 24" 24" 2ms High Definition WS E2400HD (add $101)

As a basic system it would be $1592 at cost price.

PSU = Power Supply unit, the OEM ones are pretty crappy and I wouldnt recomment using one)
WS = Widescreen.

Hope that gives you some insight.

This is a good system spec for what you need smith#29 i would go with this. with those graphics cards, you wouldn't need the 9800gt but it is better value than the 9600

In my opinion, dont waste money on vista ultimate just get home premium, i havent met a single person who actually uses the extra features between those 2 versions.

Also with the monitors, personally i have seen alot of problems with benq. I used to work at a computer shop, building and repairing pcs. in one of our packages it included a benq 19" lcd.

after a year of having that in the package it was dropped after having over 20 returns on faulty units. not all from one time though, spread out. actually the last 5 came in over 2 days which was what made the decision.

Im not exactly sure what the problem was with them, but they did need to be returned. most of them just came back with dodgy or no signals, off colours (like everything green etc.), and some just wouldn't turn on full stop.

I'm sure there are alot that are actually great, but this is just what i have seen from the company.

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
This is a good system spec for what you need smith#29 i would go with this. with those graphics cards, you wouldn't need the 9800gt but it is better value than the 9600

a good graphics card to get atm, in terms of value for money, is the ATI 4770. great performance, and its cheap as well ($170 from pc case gear)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
don't buy a laptop, the gfx card just died in mine, and as with laptops you gotta replace the entire board to fix it.