Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New door handles, now can't unlock

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Aaargh......I had some new exterior door handles repainted for my VZ. Installed the fronts today and all went well, so I thought.

I've just gone out to get something, unlocked it, both front doors only pop up half way and won't open. I only changed the front handles. I also can't pull the lock button up and higher than it goes, wiggling handles, pressing unlock, the usual tests. The rear doors still open fine and pop up all the way. What have I done, or what has happened? Everything worked as it should when tested, I just hadn't locked it and tried to unlock until now.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Tomorrow, get the door trim back off and remove the actuator assembly. Give it a clean and relube with silicone paste and get the bloody thing back in with the rods connected up in the right spots.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Can't, doors won't open. Both only pop up half way. Worked perfectly prior to door handle swap. Both front doors are identical in fault. I can't manually pull them up any higher to unlock them enough to open, trying to think what part of handle swap has affected this and how to correct, now and later. Never had this issue before and have done handles before on these. I'll have to look at some photos of the actuator to find out why the lock can be fully open and fully up but after locking and unlocking, only returns half way and stops even manually. But for the moment I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I can't find any similar reference to doors being locked half down, or as a result of door handle swap.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Appreciate your time. It doesn't seem electrical, that still works. It only pops half way, I can't pull it manually either. The plastic lock button tore off one side from trying. It will still lock again, but only unlock half way. Something is fouling the mechanism or a rod or similar enough to disengage the handles, I don't know what and I can't see how. it's just 2 nuts one each handle and a rod retainer clip.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Can't, doors won't open. Both only pop up half way. Worked perfectly prior to door handle swap. Both front doors are identical in fault. I can't manually pull them up any higher to unlock them enough to open, trying to think what part of handle swap has affected this and how to correct, now and later. Never had this issue before and have done handles before on these. I'll have to look at some photos of the actuator to find out why the lock can be fully open and fully up but after locking and unlocking, only returns half way and stops even manually. But for the moment I'm out of ideas.
This happened to me too. I was able to get in, by the back door or through the tailgate. I simply wreathed the drivers door button off. Then got a pair of long nose pliers, found the rod & pulled it up. The door then opened for me. Really easy job, The button wasn't damaged either, went back on & everything worked as it should.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Thanks, I have access through the back doors so that isn't a problem, less that it could be anyway. As mentioned, I pulled the locks up until one tore off the plastic button. That's a fair amount of force. And that's also the only way to access the rod since it's also covered by them, the red clip is blocked. I'll try that again, I just didn't want to force anything that's likely to result in damage until I knew what was even causing it. Was yours a door handle swap or just jammed halfway?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks, I have access through the back doors so that isn't a problem, less that it could be anyway. As mentioned, I pulled the locks up until one tore off the plastic button. That's a fair amount of force. And that's also the only way to access the rod since it's also covered by them, the red clip is blocked. I'll try that again, I just didn't want to force anything that's likely to result in damage until I knew what was even causing it. Was yours a door handle swap or just jammed halfway?
Just jambed. It was a few years ago. I wreathed it up with the long nosed pliers. If it didn't work, what was the alternative? Start cutting with the angle grinder? Well, it didn't come to that. The long nose pliers & wreathing it up was the answer for me. Hope you get it sorted the easy way, without any dramas. :)