Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New door handles, now can't unlock

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
OK thanks. I can't pull upwards on the rod any harder. It didn't budge.
It will still push down and lock, nice and free. But will only come back up half way before it stops. The relays are clicking to say lock and unlocked, but mechanically it isn't.

Last edited:

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Did you try turning the key in the driver's side lock at the same time you pulled on the lock button? It sounds incredibly vexing.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Did you try turning the key in the driver's side lock at the same time you pulled on the lock button? It sounds incredibly vexing.

Yes, did that as well. Was hoping somehow it would wiggle something that had been caught. But that doesn't explain the identical symptoms on the passenger side. thanks

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Surprising just how many professionals can't offer any assistance at all. Assume if it was their car they'd also be off work.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I reckon it's got everyone stumped what's wrong and what to do. People here are super helpful and would assist you further if they could. Seems like your next choice to me is cutting out the door handle or door lining.

Did you try rolling down the window and soaking the mechanisms with WD40 using a bit of pipe through the window crack? Maybe it would help to go to the wreckers and look at another one and figure out where you went wrong. Mess with the mechanism some and see if you can figure out what happened.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Surprising just how many professionals can't offer any assistance at all. Assume if it was their car they'd also be off work.

I've done a couple of door handle sets and never had a problem, and of course if you showed your location, there may be someone close by who could have a look.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve had issues with locks. Always been resolved manually or replacement. The only way forward is how I DM’d you with a solid 12v input isolated from the rest of the car. Or you cut the door trim away and physically open the door. Get a photo first though incase you spot something.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
It is sometime since I changed outer handles but for memory it involves 2 nuts and 2 ?? rods and I can't help but think you may have mixed up the rods or missed a rod in the process.
Try taking off the button both sides then try the lock and unlock.
If I have 10 minutes today I will pull a door trim and have a look.