Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New electric vehicles to be built in Adelaide...

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Whether we like it or not the days of the ICE (internal combustion engine) cars are now numbered. I am holding off as long as I can and I am also waiting for one of the makers to introduce solid state batteries. They will be a game changer. Quicker charging, more capacity for a given physical volume, greater safety and longevity. An EV with a power to weight ratio of about 100kw/ton or more, a range of 600km and a very quick charge would suit me just fine. They will come down in price as the capacity of scale improves. The fun and games will come when the tipping point for EVs is reached and sales are larger than ICE and hybrids. All those ICE cars will then be worth bugger-all at trade in. That's why I am going to keep my VF as long as possible...basically running it until it will run no more.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Whether we like it or not the days of the ICE (internal combustion engine) cars are now numbered. I am holding off as long as I can and I am also waiting for one of the makers to introduce solid state batteries. They will be a game changer. Quicker charging, more capacity for a given physical volume, greater safety and longevity. An EV with a power to weight ratio of about 100kw/ton or more, a range of 600km and a very quick charge would suit me just fine. They will come down in price as the capacity of scale improves. The fun and games will come when the tipping point for EVs is reached and sales are larger than ICE and hybrids. All those ICE cars will then be worth bugger-all at trade in. That's why I am going to keep my VF as long as possible...basically running it until it will run no more.
We think alike. Five years from now, your questions will probably be answered. Once the price and range of EV's meet Australian drivers' requirements, their sales will take off. I'm wondering how dealers will sell their last new petrol cars and what used car dealers will do with their stocks of used and unwanted vehicles. As EV's increase, there will either have to be a large scale industry fitting electric conversions or a huge increase in vehicle scrapping.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Lets not forget a clean, sustainable, long term electricity source, such as nuclear power, to charge all these power hungry batteries.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
We think alike. Five years from now, your questions will probably be answered. Once the price and range of EV's meet Australian drivers' requirements, their sales will take off. I'm wondering how dealers will sell their last new petrol cars and what used car dealers will do with their stocks of used and unwanted vehicles. As EV's increase, there will either have to be a large scale industry fitting electric conversions or a huge increase in vehicle scrapping.

I wouldn't expect all of those ICE vehicles to just disappear overnight.

Not everyone can afford the cost of a new EV.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Formula 1 gurus are not convinced about electric cars.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/motorsport-two-stroke-idea-for-formula-1-122414/
“Symonds spoke at an energy-efficiency conference at the Motorsport Industry Association in Britain, where research was presented that showed electric racing cars could be responsible for twice the level of carbon emissions as hybrids because of the amount produced when building batteries.”

People only seem to be looking at the non-existent exhaust pipe emissions, not the amount of energy used to produce an electric car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I wouldn't expect all of those ICE vehicles to just disappear overnight.

Not everyone can afford the cost of a new EV.
Quite right. The change-over will take years. My point is that once EV's drop in price and can achieve a range that suits our needs, their sales will accelerate. Gradually, ICV's, particularly older ones, will depreciate more quickly, but the interesting point will be how well new petrol cars will sell. I think its going to be very difficult to get rid of them eventually. It will also be interesting to see what falling demand for ICV, 's will do to petrol pricing.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Quite right. The change-over will take years. My point is that once EV's drop in price and can achieve a range that suits our needs, their sales will accelerate. Gradually, ICV's, particularly older ones, will depreciate more quickly, but the interesting point will be how well new petrol cars will sell. I think its going to be very difficult to get rid of them eventually. It will also be interesting to see what falling demand for ICV, 's will do to petrol pricing.

Indeed, interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Formula 1 gurus are not convinced about electric cars.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/motorsport-two-stroke-idea-for-formula-1-122414/
“Symonds spoke at an energy-efficiency conference at the Motorsport Industry Association in Britain, where research was presented that showed electric racing cars could be responsible for twice the level of carbon emissions as hybrids because of the amount produced when building batteries.”

People only seem to be looking at the non-existent exhaust pipe emissions, not the amount of energy used to produce an electric car.

The difference in energy required refers to hybrids. How does the energy required compare to conventional vehicles?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The difference in energy required refers to hybrids. How does the energy required compare to conventional vehicles?

That is the $64,000 question that nobody mentions, probably because the real answer would be politically and environmently incorrect and embarrassing to 'climate change social justice warriors'.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I very much feel that the way we here feel about cars is not how many folks in the future will think about cars.

We cherish them as an extension of our personality while in the future they will be just like a tampon, use it and be rid of it. There will be no resale value in them and they'll just get recycled very much like what happens to many cars in Japan now. Japan doesn't have an oil industry like we do, basically the oil that's put into the vehicle stays in there until the vehicle is handed back in for the purchase of another new one.

They don't get attached to cars like we do and in the future we won't be either, but hey, by then we'll all be gone or a dribbling mess in a Nursing Home of some sort and never even thinking about a car ever again.