Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New electric vehicles to be built in Adelaide...

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Not a lot of interest to anyone except the few with a: the money to waste since electric vehicles have virtually no value on the secondhand market and only around 10% of people that buy one ever buy a second one,

Interesting statistic, any reference for it? Seeing as full on electric cars are only about 5-6 years old, and only selling in big numbers for about 3, it would be tricky for a lot of buyers to have bought a second one yet?
Plus the early adopters are more likely to be keen on the technology so would likely buy again?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'm waiting for flying Uber to hit the city that should help with traffic gridlock and pollution.
Problem will be the second hand sales with electric cars no one will want them with the cost of battery replacement your better off buying a new one. Mechanics better start studying electronics or they be out of a job. I herd the tesla battery swap over is around 10k.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Tbh i'd like to see electric crate motor conversions to allow us blokes who love older cars to keep them on the road when fuel's too expensive to keep them alive on dinosaur juice. It's more environmentally sound to keep old cars going than it is to buy a new car, since almost half of a car's overall carbon emissions comes from its manufacture and the mining of the materials to make it. If you can cut that down, you're already doing a solid job at conserving resources.

I'd be keen for that tbh. It's actually why i'm learning CAD and CNC machining for, so I can eventually build EV Conversion kits for classic cars :)

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I'm waiting for flying Uber to hit the city that should help with traffic gridlock and pollution.
Problem will be the second hand sales with electric cars no one will want them with the cost of battery replacement your better off buying a new one. Mechanics better start studying electronics or they be out of a job. I herd the tesla battery swap over is around 10k.

Or, sell the cars back to Tesla so they can recycle the packs into Powerwalls. That's actually where they get the packs for Powerwalls from, since houses draw current at a slower rate than cars do, so used packs are the perfect choice for houses.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Tbh i'd like to see electric crate motor conversions to allow us blokes who love older cars to keep them on the road when fuel's too expensive to keep them alive on dinosaur juice. It's more environmentally sound to keep old cars going than it is to buy a new car, since almost half of a car's overall carbon emissions comes from its manufacture and the mining of the materials to make it. If you can cut that down, you're already doing a solid job at conserving resources.

I'd be keen for that tbh. It's actually why i'm learning CAD and CNC machining for, so I can eventually build EV Conversion kits for classic cars :)
Copper price will go up as demands for copper increases to make these buzz boxes.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Have you seen Chev's eCrate concept ?

I see eCrates having legs in the future.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the conversion of valuable petrol vehicles into EV's will be big business for about five to ten years, while the market converts to EV's generally. Once the backlog of the old cars has been converted, the business will die out but it could be a lucrative few years for a company that establishes a good reputation for quality work.

Old classics don't normally get driven as much as dailies. The restricted range of EV's won't matter so much. I can't see it working for classic hi-po cars like a GTHO, but for early Holdens, Foulcans and Valiants with 6 cylinder engines, the conversions could make sense.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think the conversion of valuable petrol vehicles into EV's will be big business for about five to ten years, while the market converts to EV's generally. Once the backlog of the old cars has been converted, the business will die out but it could be a lucrative few years for a company that establishes a good reputation for quality work.

Old classics don't normally get driven as much as dailies. The restricted range of EV's won't matter so much. I can't see it working for classic hi-po cars like a GTHO, but for early Holdens, Foulcans and Valiants with 6 cylinder engines, the conversions could make sense.

Availability of petrol will make things interesting.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Availability of petrol will make things interesting.
I think there will be a few making their own in the back shed if it was not imported. Remember they encouraged people to go LPG cleaner for the environment hell they even paid most of the conversion cost with their subsidies grants, that was a flop we went away from that.
You have politicians talking about gas fired power stations in replace of coal. If gas is better then what happened to that movement? Car manufacturing should be making only lpg vehicles if it was better for the environment.

Going completely electric will never happen in my life time it wont be affordable to low income earners to buy them for at less 15-20 year on the market just like people today buying 20 year old classics:eek: for around 1-2k to drive. Just think if they say as of 2025 no more petrol, they will loose around 70% of revenue from motorist until a cheap second hand vehicles come on the market for the poor end of the community, it be suicidal for politicians they would lose billions.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I see a lot of negativity about EV's but it's going to be the inevitable future of fleet cars, family cars and a whole range of self driving trucks. Just my opinion of course, but there is growth every year and that isn't slowing down. Not to mention the fact that the technology gets better every year, and not just battery technology.

EV sales are at 0.6 per cent of sales in Australia as of 2019 and hybrid vehicles were 3.5 per cent of the total market. combined sales up 54% from 2018.