Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust Droning Bad

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Question:
If they install a different spec/new cat-back will the engine need to be re-tuned?

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
no, cat back doesn't greatly affect performance to begin with, its mostly about noise.

even swapping to a completely different full exhaust system (of similar spec) would hardly change the tune parameters

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What paradox said.

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Update.
Changed to a quieter rear muffler, drone is as bad if not worse, regardless of quiet or normal mode (bi-modal). Took my nephew for a drive this afternoon and he agreed it was bad, and he's a revhead.
I won't take it back to the same place as it's obvious they either don't have a fix or are not willing/too busy to invest the time needed to listen to me +road test.
Couple of options I guess, choose another shop who will either replace the catback (2.5inch)or add a H-pipe/J-pipe etc....

My mistake initially was agreeing to a 3 inch system, total overkill for my current setup.
From my end, I can attempt to sound-proof the spare wheel recess etc...
Pondering...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sound proofing won't fix the issue, you will still hear it. As it's harmonic, you also feel it. There is another solution that may work but it's expensive, tunable J pipes. The J part is a slip join and you can adjust the length until it tunes the drone out. That coupled with a H pipe should work.

Cheapest option is to fit a quality 2 1/2" cat back, one with a muffler up front, and try and sell the 3".

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Sound proofing won't fix the issue, you will still hear it. As it's harmonic, you also feel it. There is another solution that may work but it's expensive, tunable J pipes. The J part is a slip join and you can adjust the length until it tunes the drone out. That coupled with a H pipe should work.

Cheapest option is to fit a quality 2 1/2" cat back, one with a muffler up front, and try and sell the 3".
I think this might be the path to take, lesson learnt.
NAAF would Manta be the pick of the bunch?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The Manta 3" wouldn't have droned either, but the 2 1/2" is even better. Sounds good, no drone, but you have to use the whole cat back not just the centre. If you keep your bi-modals then go the "quiet" front, it has a muffler and hotdogs, it is labelled quiet but only to differentiate between the quiet, medium and loud.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
There was a previous post here some where about drone,a member said he eradicated drone by putting a H pipe after the mufflers as well as before them,would like to see this first hand myself,any one else done this mod?