Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust Droning Bad

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
G'day folks
Car is a VF2.
Have just fitted a full Hurricane system, 1" 3/4 primaries, high flow cats(100cells), 3 inch midpipes,high flow mufflers. Have retained the bi-modal function.
The sound(note) is absolutely phenomenal, however the drone is fierce between 1500 and 2200 rpm or if engine is under some load. It's seriously tinnitus-inducing.
Do these things settle down after a week or so?
What is the biggest contributing factor to drone? Midpipe or mufflers? Using the bi-modal in quiet mode reduces some noise which I appreciate will keep the neighbours happy but the drone is almost as bad. I will contact Hurricane directly and hopefully they can suggest a fix.
Cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Do these things settle down after a week or so?...
Playing a bugle for months won’t change the sounds that come from such a brass wind instrument, notwithstanding the players skill.

Likewise driving for months won’t change the sound that comes from an exhaust... Such is a function of the design of the exhaust and based on tube harmonics ;)

Some imply that a build up of carbon within the exhaust reduces the tinny sound but the notes and drones produced are a function of the harmonics and won’t change with time o_O

You’d have to fiddle with the exhaust harmonics to reduce drone and that implies changes in the pipework :oops:

Well that’s how I understand it anyway :rolleyes:

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Playing a bugle for months won’t change the sounds that come from such a brass wind instrument, notwithstanding the players skill.

Likewise driving for months won’t change the sound that comes from an exhaust... Such is a function of the design of the exhaust and based on tube harmonics ;)

Some imply that a build up of carbon within the exhaust reduces the tinny sound but the notes and drones produced are a function of the harmonics and won’t change with time o_O

You’d have to fiddle with the exhaust harmonics to reduce drone and that implies changes in the pipework :oops:

I heard somewhere mentioned 'Helmholtz' pipes?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I feel my exhaust has changed note considerably since I had it put on. It seems to have mellowed a ton and the droning that I had initially seems to be gone.
Mind you, I have had my car cammed since but its not like the same exhaust sound, with revs and torque. I have pretty ordinary hearing at my age too...who knows but I think it sounds better than it did when new.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I feel my exhaust has changed note considerably since I had it put on. It seems to have mellowed a ton and the droning that I had initially seems to be gone.
Mind you, I have had my car cammed since but its not like the same exhaust sound, with revs and torque. I have pretty ordinary hearing at my age too...who knows but I think it sounds better than it did when new.
There’s no logical reason for an exhaust to change sound without something changing within the pipework or the engine.... if there is I’d love to hear the theories :cool:

But if you’ve noticed a big mellowing change, may be time for a hearing test :p

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
they do carbon up.. but they dont change too much

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Exhaust note will change due to a few factors, number one being carbon. As the exhaust carbons up it will sound different inside the car. Another is the glass packing inside the mufflers loosens up a bit, also changing the note.

The main thing that contributes to drone is the mismatching of components. Most companies slap a system together based on theory without actual physical real world testing. A few companies will frequency match their mufflers and resonators and also add frequency enhancing/cancelling components like Hemholtz chambers, H pipes and in the case of Manta, they have a different internal in their left and right sides of their front mufflers on the VE/VF systems. There is a lot that goes into a nice sounding exhaust, and while Hurricane do build a nice system (I prefer their extractors and had sold them for 10 years) it doesn't sound very good in my opinion.

If you have the system with the 4 hotdogs in the front, a H pipe fitted in between the two sets of hotdogs may help. I have even added 2 H pipes into a system before and it almost eliminated the drone.

If you could somehow paint the inside of that bugle with a 1mm thick layer of carbon it will absolutely change the tone of it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Exhaust note will change due to a few factors, number one being carbon. As the exhaust carbons up it will sound different inside the car. Another is the glass packing inside the mufflers loosens up a bit, also changing the note.

The main thing that contributes to drone is the mismatching of components. Most companies slap a system together based on theory without actual physical real world testing. A few companies will frequency match their mufflers and resonators and also add frequency enhancing/cancelling components like Hemholtz chambers, H pipes and in the case of Manta, they have a different internal in their left and right sides of their front mufflers on the VE/VF systems. There is a lot that goes into a nice sounding exhaust, and while Hurricane do build a nice system (I prefer their extractors and had sold them for 10 years) it doesn't sound very good in my opinion.

If you have the system with the 4 hotdogs in the front, a H pipe fitted in between the two sets of hotdogs may help. I have even added 2 H pipes into a system before and it almost eliminated the drone.

If you could somehow paint the inside of that bugle with a 1mm thick layer of carbon it will absolutely change the tone of it.
Great info, thank you
I'll post back once they've modified it.

Last edited:

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
PS. All else being the same, does the 3inch drone more than the 2.5inch, or is it just louder regardless of drone levels?