Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust Droning Bad

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Surely a full exhaust system purchased from some manufacturer would be designed for a specific vehicle.
designed to fit...
Not surprised if some manufacturers have such a low bar in their design brief. But if that's all they do, then they do leave themselves open to all sorts of Australian Consumer Law "acceptable quality" claims :(;)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Surely a full exhaust system purchased from some manufacturer would be designed for a specific vehicle. As such I would have thought it shouldn’t need the installer to fiddle with component swapping or redesign so the system doesn't drone like crazy.

Or is it that some exhaust manufacturers don’t produce fully tested complete exhaust systems, but instead produce discrete components. And could it be that’s why discrete components (even from the same manufacturer) can be less than the whole when put together into a system (by a less than competent shop or owner)?

Exhaust note will change due to a few factors, number one being carbon. As the exhaust carbons up it will sound different inside the car. Another is the glass packing inside the mufflers loosens up a bit, also changing the note.

The main thing that contributes to drone is the mismatching of components. Most companies slap a system together based on theory without actual physical real world testing. A few companies will frequency match their mufflers and resonators and also add frequency enhancing/cancelling components like Hemholtz chambers, H pipes and in the case of Manta, they have a different internal in their left and right sides of their front mufflers on the VE/VF systems. There is a lot that goes into a nice sounding exhaust, and while Hurricane do build a nice system (I prefer their extractors and had sold them for 10 years) it doesn't sound very good in my opinion.

If you have the system with the 4 hotdogs in the front, a H pipe fitted in between the two sets of hotdogs may help. I have even added 2 H pipes into a system before and it almost eliminated the drone.

If you could somehow paint the inside of that bugle with a 1mm thick layer of carbon it will absolutely change the tone of it.

Thought that bit directly related to your question.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Not surprised if some manufacturers have such a low bar in their design brief. But if that's all they do, then they do leave themselves open to all sorts of Australian Consumer Law "acceptable quality" claims :(;)

It would be interesting to see which way a court would go if you were complaining about drone after fitting an aftermarket exhaust to your vehicle for street use that no longer met emission requirements.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Update
Picked up car.
I'll post up a summary once I feed the Rug-rats some dinner but all I can say is NAAF is pretty spot-on.
Back soon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It would be interesting to see which way a court would go if you were complaining about drone after fitting an aftermarket exhaust to your vehicle for street use that no longer met emission requirements.
Yeah, would be interesting indeed but possibly irrelevant.

For example, if an owner pops into workshop and asks for nicer v8 rumbling sound and is sold a package for a road car that drones like crazy, the fact it fails to meet emissions doesn't bode well for the seller's case unless such was stated in the sales documents.

Even if the seller clearly stated the exhaust illegality issue prior to selling his wares, the judge may take a dim view of the sellers actions despite the both parties having unclean hands... But as always it may depend on how the judge feels on the day (and whether he's had some argument with his wife and your the sounding board to his anger)...