Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust Droning Bad

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
NAAF, what is it specifically about the merge collector with that particular brand which is poor?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you need j-pipes or marriage savers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
NAAF, what is it specifically about the merge collector with that particular brand which is poor?

When you have a certain harmonic generated by a component, in this case, the 4 hotdogs, which are probably not glass packed, but I have not cut a Hurricane one open to check, each side of the exhaust has that annoying harmonic. Add the merge at the front and you are effectively doubling the effect. An X type merge only redirects frequency waves where as a H interrupts them and changes their frequency.

Think about two voices singing, when they harmonize and combine effectively it sounds great, but when they hit the same frequency together, it sounds terrible. I don't know if you have heard it but it's painful on the ears.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
When you have a certain harmonic generated by a component, in this case, the 4 hotdogs, which are probably not glass packed, but I have not cut a Hurricane one open to check, each side of the exhaust has that annoying harmonic. Add the merge at the front and you are effectively doubling the effect. An X type merge only redirects frequency waves where as a H interrupts them and changes their frequency.

Think about two voices singing, when they harmonize and combine effectively it sounds great, but when they hit the same frequency together, it sounds terrible. I don't know if you have heard it but it's painful on the ears.
So are you saying glass packed resonators and maybe h pipe rather than x pipe would help or skip and go straight to front muffler

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So are you saying glass packed resonators and maybe h pipe rather than x pipe would help or skip and go straight to front muffler

Go straight for a front muffler. It would be easier to fit that than to chop up and try and fix an existing part.

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline

Sorry NAAF I've probably asked this before: Is it straight forward for an exhaust shop to add a front muffler to my existing system? Do you think it will reduce just the drone or will it make it quieter as well. It's already pretty quiet now with the AFM? rear mufflers, so not sure I wanna go quieter! If so I might ask for the slightly less restrictive rear mufflers to be re-fitted, as described in stage 2 above.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Most systems are made to suit the muffler, as in pipe spacing. If there is a muffler that slots straight in it would be pretty easy. Either way something has to be modified as I don't believe Hurricane do a front section with a muffler. Other brands have a different front join so it won't be a direct fit. If you get a front muffler you can refit the less restrictive rears, as you said, it will make it quieter again with a muffler.

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Most systems are made to suit the muffler, as in pipe spacing. If there is a muffler that slots straight in it would be pretty easy. Either way something has to be modified as I don't believe Hurricane do a front section with a muffler. Other brands have a different front join so it won't be a direct fit. If you get a front muffler you can refit the less restrictive rears, as you said, it will make it quieter again with a muffler.
Ok so if I keep the existing system and add a front muffler it will have to be a custom jobbie.
I think Hurricane have exhausted (pardon the pun) their expertise on this one, even if they fit my factory rear mufflers as a next step it will probably still drone anyway due to the design of the front section/merge collectors etc.
Think I'll ask them to refit the moderately louder mufflers and have another shop add a front muffler.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Either way something has to be modified as I don't believe Hurricane do a front section with a muffler.

I know the full Hurricane system I had on my VE SSV Ute didn't have mufflers in the front section.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I know the full Hurricane system I had on my VE SSV Ute didn't have mufflers in the front section.

Do you utes have drone issues ?

Given their structural design I would have thought no ?