Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust Droning Bad

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do you utes have drone issues ?

Given their structural design I would have thought no ?

As Imoengnr said.

I've never owned a Ute where I could hear any drone from the cabin regardless of the type of exhaust fitted but I've not ridden in the back of one at speed in 40years to know if they do in the tray.

My HX Ute sounded nuts riding in the back around town but I'm sure your ears would have started to bleed after a long spelling out on open road but just two 24" hotdogs and a set of tuned length headers can do that.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the drone reverberates in the cabin so the ute has small cabin so not as much time to bounce around (different frequency), where as sedan and wagon have larger space for the drone to bounce around and double up the waves for more drone, best fix for drone i have noticed is the rear muffler stick a stock one on will kill drone as its designed to do

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
the drone reverberates in the cabin so the ute has small cabin so not as much time to bounce around (different frequency), where as sedan and wagon have larger space for the drone to bounce around and double up the waves for more drone, best fix for drone i have noticed is the rear muffler stick a stock one on will kill drone as its designed to do
The rear mufflers I have on now are pretty much almost stock, single pipe outlet merging into twin tips, a little louder than factory but it's still droning(not as bad as before as the overall volume has been greatly reduced by the rear mufflers), but particularly aweful at a sustained highway speed of 110kph. which suggests the issue is more with the front section (merge collector) as NAAF alluded to, and needs a muffler there.

Yesterday I met up 'Paradox' who kindly took the time to compare our systems, top class bloke all round. We have the identical vehicles with similar kms. 1" 3/4 extractors + 3inch system is identical to what I had before the modding, except for cats (mine 100cell, his 200cell), mine definitely stinks way more.
His wasn't as loud as my original set-up at start-up, idle, and under load/accelleration, and droned a bit less, possibly cat difference?
Anyhow, if the original shop can't fit a front muffler to my current set-up(surely they could) I'll take it elsewhere.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
hey thanks, just hope you get some answers.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Utes have horrific drone if the exhaust finishes before the end of the tub (e.g. diff dump). Otherwise they’re not too bad.

The tune made the biggest difference of all for drone with my VX SS. I had it retuned and was much more crisp afterwards. But mine was cammed with histall etc so didn’t spend a whole heap of time below 2000rpm.

Lean cruise is one of the largest contributors imo.