Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust on! Question...

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey!

Got my 2.5" Catback exhaust straight through with center muffler on today (19th Feb) with the 3" dual tips coming on Monday (23rd Feb) and the thing sounds awesome! Pics will be up next week.

Anyways, just got a few questions/statements about my car since the installation (keeping in mind it's only been a day).

1) The car is smelling more of fuel then it used to. EDIT: SMELL HAS STOPPED after 2 days
2) Will the sound decrease over the next few weeks? RESOLVED
3) Could just be my mind playing tricks on me but i think fuel usage is UP when I heard these systems should bring it DOWN? (pretty sure I wasn't pushing it more than usual either) PROBABLY PUSHING CAR FOR SOUND lol

Thanks for help guys.

Pics below with tip and exhaust system. (sorry for the quality in some, dunno what happened)

p2302100935.jpg

p230210093501.jpg

p2302100936.jpg

p230210093601.jpg

p230210093602.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p2302100935.jpg << Link to album if pics dont upload (why dont mine ever work?)

Let me know what you think?

Last edited:

rob_rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L UTE - VR V6 5SPD
check ur error codes might b sumthing to do with 02 sensor as it would have been touched when the zorst went on

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
2.5" with a single muffler and Dual 3" tips?

This is on a V6 yes?

The sound is not going to decrease, it will 'bed-in', but it won't decrease. If anything it will get more 'droney', which your system probably
already does as it is.

Fuel smell is a bit odd. Did they touch the tank for some unknown reason?
Maybe the smell and excess consumption are related to a damaged tank (caused by the exhaust joint)

Get some extractors, cos that car is going to sound like arse (like 90% of the V6's you hear) with std. headers and y-piece.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
2.5" with a single muffler and Dual 3" tips?

The sound is not going to decrease, it will 'bed-in', but it won't decrease. If anything it will get more 'droney', which your system probably
already does as it is.

Sorry, I didn't mean 'with the tips will the sound decrease' I just meant that with the overall exhaust will the sound decrease, because i heard some guys on hear saying the exhaust got quieter after a few weeks (didnt make sense to me). And yes extractors would always be nice, just need $$$.

It does drown a bit, but i prefer it to the car sounding like a fan.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Sorry, I didn't mean 'with the tips will the sound decrease' I just meant that with the overall exhaust will the sound decrease, because i heard some guys on hear saying the exhaust got quieter after a few weeks (didnt make sense to me). And yes extractors would always be nice, just need $$$.

It does drown a bit, but i prefer it to the car sounding like a fan.

Im guessing around 2300rpm? :hmmm:

vscharged08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
How much the system set you back?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
How much the system set you back?

phoned around asking for '2.5" Catback System with straight pipe and centre muffler'

'FatPipes' were the best deal at $260 + tips ($20-$100).
'A1exhausts' will do it for $280 + tips

Those are the best and Fatpipes is known for great quality too and were very easy and fast. (took an hour to get done)

Most places I rang quoted me $320-$350 and STAY AWAY FROM 'Ultimate Exhaust' they quoted me $400!! (that's about $200 for labour charges...idiots)

hope that helped

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The system will get a bit quieter as it carbons up, but it will use more fuel around town. They are more economical on the highway though.

A 2 1/2" single on a V6 Commodore is only ever fitted for sound, not power or economy.