Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Exhaust. Thoughts?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
How you going guys.

Just took my car in to get a new Diff installed ($100 for the diff, $140 install and fluids etc)

They also spotted that my exhaust was stuffed, and rusted so badly it couldnt be welded. So i got a new exhaust system installed.

New exhaust runs from the Cat converter to the tip, and its all redback (i think its 2 1/2 inch??) Headers / cat converted have remained untouched.

I paid $300 for it all installed, and i've heard redback's are one of the better systems you can get, so i just wanted to ask,

1) Are there different models of redback exhausts? Standard / performance / high performance ? (its a VN Series 2 wagon)

2) For the price paid, was it a good deal? It sounds a bit better, but it doesnt sound tough at all.

Thoughts?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
pretty sure redback have standard and sports. if yours is 2.5 i'd say it's the sports exhuast.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Im not sure if its straight though, ATM ive got Headers > pipe > Catalytic converter > pipe >resonator > pipe > muffler > tip.

How would i double check to make sure its a 2 1/2" and not 2 or 2 1/4" ? Just measure the diameter of the tip?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
no not the tip, measure the diamter of the pipe before the tip,

having a resonator and a muffler will keep it fairly quiet.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
:S how would i measure the diameter without pulling it apart? And by "TIP" i mean the actual pipe coming out of the muffler. I havent put a fancy chrome tip on it yet. So can i measure the pipe coming out of the muffler? or do i have to go back further?

EDIT: I measured the pipe coming out of the muffler, its 2 1/4 "

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
straight through is just referring to the catback (what you got). it means that the exhaust flows freely through the mufflers, less restriction, more noise. 2 1/4 may not be straight through then. however, although it shouldn't be, the tip coming out of the resonator may be smaller. you can measure it before the resonator in a couple of ways, easy if you have a caliper.. or if not check out these dodgy methods i thought up: a g clamp, put that around the pipe then take it off and measure it. or a piece of string, wrap it around the pipe to get the circumference (C) and use the following formula to get the diameter (d):
d = 2(C / 2π)
btw, π = pi.

i don't expect you to go through this trouble though :p

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Haha, im known to do all sorts of stupid **** to discover trivial information. I shall figure out the diameter before the muffler in the morning!

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
mines a 2&1/2 with no rear muffler (resonator), you can get em with rear muffler or without, mine was $320 fitted. I was told redbacks have a glasspack muffler which is superior in flow than the standard ones.