Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New family car - Subaru ?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Ron Burgundy, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
  2. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    I would have taken a subie in a second over the vf wagon,not enough room in them and seats are too small,made for Asians/small people.
    Back in 2014/15 we looked at Subaru wrx and ralliart lancers,subie was uncomfortably small,we got the ralliart.
    Are the sti seats in the levorg small like wrx seats?
    Compare reliability with the ls3 and the many issues it has,even the 6.0 and its issues,could the turbo boxer be any worse?
    They are a great looking car that's for sure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    If you are a small person with a small family and you don't spend too much time on the highway, maybe!
    Driving a suby reminds me of driving a billy cart as a kid. Too small too noisy too low gearing and too many revs. Meh, give me a Commodore!

Tonner Matt, commodore665 and 426Cuda like this.
  4. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    this will show you the fun that can be had with scooby doo engines, they are not bad at all.
    at 42 mins they have it on the track.

mpower likes this.
  5. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Supposedly cvt auto can drone a bit so do take one for a test drive before you commit.

6. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    yeah do your research on CVT's - some of the early ones had some issues you don't want to walk into.

7. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    My wife has a 2016 wrx sti, and its a great car. Drives so much better than my redline to be honest.
    Unless its changed in the last few years Im pretty sure the STI levorg is just appearance parts, not anything else like in the WRX, or the older sti liberties. We looked at it as well and it just wasnt value for money, you would have been better off with the outback it had far more impressive feature set, it just doest look all that great.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  8. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    The STI ones are like the old "HSV Enhanced" Commodores, a few parts added here & there, more like a Storm or a Black really.
    It's a WRX wagon in essence.
    They're reliable enough, 2016 shouldn't be a problem with the CVT (if it's a CVT - I think they didn't sell manuals here?). The CVT isn't a very inspiring 'box to drive, though, test-drive with that in mind, it still feels a little bit elastic-bandy. It's not the sound, it's the feel. I accept that automatics are dull & any auto is always going to be Just Transport; and maybe that's why the CVT didn't bother me; but a lot of people don't like them.

9. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    In the US, we run away from CVTs, they are garbage. About the Subaru engines, they are not that bad but heard from others that they leak oil and some had head gasket issues. They all pretty much said, get the Manual Transmission, that goes with most Jap cars. The only one that seems to have a decent Auto Trans is Toyota.

mitweiler likes this.
  10. Brown Dog

Brown Dog New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
    The Levorg has the WRX engine tune 197/350
    Mrs has a 2014 WRX CVT. Whilst engine is good, don't like CVT, suspension ridiculously hard, interior fit and finish poor.
    If you can handle the CVT, then I suspect a 2018 is probably a nice car

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  11. BlaserF3

BlaserF3 New Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
    The missus runs a 2012 Subaru Liberty-R 3.6L boxer, 2 sports modes, flappy paddles - goes well. All up a very comfortable and roomy car with some nice touches in interior.
    No issues other than road noise on some surfaces, none on the newer topping surfaces. I reckon new rubber in a month or so will reduce the noise - other than that I'd have another one...

12. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    A lot of Subie devotees also complain about the 6 month servicing...has that changed recently?

13. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Nope, looks like for turbo cars it's still every 6 months. Given the pressure from the marketing department to increase that interval & yet they've not changed it, I'd be sticking to that 6-month period - must be for a reason!
    They're super easy to DIY though, everything replaceable is easy for access (eg. oil-filter hangs under the engine, you just reach up & unscrew it without any need to quickly turn it over & avoid drips).
    Given the OP's looking at usedees, there'd be no need to keep taking it somewhere for servicing that often for very long (3yo car, 5yr warranty).

14. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    The cvt is one things that most reviews are not impressed with. I always had autos so not sure if cvt would feel that horrible compared to simple automatic.

My budget is around 40k and in that price range the Levorg seems like the most practical car with some power and it looks good...
    Sooo my criteria is those 3 things...
    I hate SUVs so I am definitely not going there...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  15. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    They feel … odd.
    Whether that's bad is up to personal taste, IMHO; a test-drive will tell you. :)

Smallish wagony things are hard to come by these days, aren't many alternatives. I personally think you're safe with a DSG car so long as it's as new as that LeForg you referenced; if it were me, I'd also have a squiz at the Skoda Octavia vRS wagons.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  16. I Wish

I Wish New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
    Having previously owned a MY15 WRX Premium which I traded in for a MY16 GTS Levorg. I think I am in a pretty good position to express my thoughts on the Levorg.

As mentioned the STi is just a bodykit and mufflers and of course you pay a premium for it.

The higher spec models do come very well equipped and the Eyesight systems in the Subarus are meant to be one of the best on the market.

Make sure you do spend some time test driving one to see how you feel about the CVT gearbox. It is actually quite flexible but you will either love it or hate it.

It has a “Sports mode” which simulates 8 gears. But they tried too hard to simulate the gear changes and to me it was too jerky. In pure CVT mode they can be deceptively quick as the gearbox keeps the engine in the peak torque zone. You will find yourself over the speed limit easily as the gearbox is so quiet. Been reading on the FB pages that some have had them leaking and being replaced under warranty and I think there is a recall as well on some models. They will be expensive replacement once the warranty runs out.

The FA20 can be tuned like any other WRX, but the CVT cannot handle too much torque and if the tuner doesn’t know that. You will be up for a new gearbox.

Being an early adopter. The suspension was woeful in the first models with the rear end bottoming out and oscillating over bumps. From all reports they have fixed the suspension in the new models. I ended up installing a set up MCA coilovers, and it while it did fix the rear end. I still reckon my wife’s 2016 Corolla takes some corners and roundabouts better!

If you are after a bit more noise from the exhaust. Do not even think about it! Because of the CVT, they sound like shite!! I had a Invidia Cat back installed and took it off a month or two later.

Those on the forums raving about aftermarket exhausts on their Levorgs are just kidding themselves!

Milo 6.0 and Ron Burgundy like this.
  17. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    I had to laugh at the concerns about 6 month servicing. It's a lot but then listen to all the people crying about sludge and engines failing in other brands who state a 15,000 km service period. When you are talking turbo cars you really don't want to stretch out the services or you will find yourself in a lot of pain!

Ron Burgundy and lmoengnr like this.
  18. I Wish

I Wish New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
    Having the oil filter at the top. Certainly makes oil an filter changes so much easier. I got lazy due to lack of space in my garage and bought one of those oil vacuum devices.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  19. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Thanks mate. That is really helpful

20. chrisp

chrisp Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
    Ron, did you consider a ZB tourer?