Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New family car - Subaru ?

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
The missus runs a 2012 Subaru Liberty-R 3.6L boxer, 2 sports modes, flappy paddles - goes well. All up a very comfortable and roomy car with some nice touches in interior.
No issues other than road noise on some surfaces, none on the newer topping surfaces. I reckon new rubber in a month or so will reduce the noise - other than that I'd have another one...

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
A lot of Subie devotees also complain about the 6 month servicing...has that changed recently?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A lot of Subie devotees also complain about the 6 month servicing...has that changed recently?
Nope, looks like for turbo cars it's still every 6 months. Given the pressure from the marketing department to increase that interval & yet they've not changed it, I'd be sticking to that 6-month period - must be for a reason!
They're super easy to DIY though, everything replaceable is easy for access (eg. oil-filter hangs under the engine, you just reach up & unscrew it without any need to quickly turn it over & avoid drips).
Given the OP's looking at usedees, there'd be no need to keep taking it somewhere for servicing that often for very long (3yo car, 5yr warranty).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The cvt is one things that most reviews are not impressed with. I always had autos so not sure if cvt would feel that horrible compared to simple automatic.

My budget is around 40k and in that price range the Levorg seems like the most practical car with some power and it looks good...
Sooo my criteria is those 3 things...
I hate SUVs so I am definitely not going there...

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The cvt is one thing that most reviews are not impressed with. I always had autos so not sure if cvt would feel that horrible compared to simple automatic.
They feel … odd.
Whether that's bad is up to personal taste, IMHO; a test-drive will tell you. :)

Smallish wagony things are hard to come by these days, aren't many alternatives. I personally think you're safe with a DSG car so long as it's as new as that LeForg you referenced; if it were me, I'd also have a squiz at the Skoda Octavia vRS wagons.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Having previously owned a MY15 WRX Premium which I traded in for a MY16 GTS Levorg. I think I am in a pretty good position to express my thoughts on the Levorg.

As mentioned the STi is just a bodykit and mufflers and of course you pay a premium for it.

The higher spec models do come very well equipped and the Eyesight systems in the Subarus are meant to be one of the best on the market.

Make sure you do spend some time test driving one to see how you feel about the CVT gearbox. It is actually quite flexible but you will either love it or hate it.

It has a “Sports mode” which simulates 8 gears. But they tried too hard to simulate the gear changes and to me it was too jerky. In pure CVT mode they can be deceptively quick as the gearbox keeps the engine in the peak torque zone. You will find yourself over the speed limit easily as the gearbox is so quiet. Been reading on the FB pages that some have had them leaking and being replaced under warranty and I think there is a recall as well on some models. They will be expensive replacement once the warranty runs out.

The FA20 can be tuned like any other WRX, but the CVT cannot handle too much torque and if the tuner doesn’t know that. You will be up for a new gearbox.

Being an early adopter. The suspension was woeful in the first models with the rear end bottoming out and oscillating over bumps. From all reports they have fixed the suspension in the new models. I ended up installing a set up MCA coilovers, and it while it did fix the rear end. I still reckon my wife’s 2016 Corolla takes some corners and roundabouts better!

If you are after a bit more noise from the exhaust. Do not even think about it! Because of the CVT, they sound like shite!! I had a Invidia Cat back installed and took it off a month or two later.

Those on the forums raving about aftermarket exhausts on their Levorgs are just kidding themselves!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had to laugh at the concerns about 6 month servicing. It's a lot but then listen to all the people crying about sludge and engines failing in other brands who state a 15,000 km service period. When you are talking turbo cars you really don't want to stretch out the services or you will find yourself in a lot of pain!

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Having the oil filter at the top. Certainly makes oil an filter changes so much easier. I got lazy due to lack of space in my garage and bought one of those oil vacuum devices.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Having previously owned a MY15 WRX Premium which I traded in for a MY16 GTS Levorg. I think I am in a pretty good position to express my thoughts on the Levorg.

As mentioned the STi is just a bodykit and mufflers and of course you pay a premium for it.

The higher spec models do come very well equipped and the Eyesight systems in the Subarus are meant to be one of the best on the market.

Make sure you do spend some time test driving one to see how you feel about the CVT gearbox. It is actually quite flexible but you will either love it or hate it.

It has a “Sports mode” which simulates 8 gears. But they tried too hard to simulate the gear changes and to me it was too jerky. In pure CVT mode they can be deceptively quick as the gearbox keeps the engine in the peak torque zone. You will find yourself over the speed limit easily as the gearbox is so quiet. Been reading on the FB pages that some have had them leaking and being replaced under warranty and I think there is a recall as well on some models. They will be expensive replacement once the warranty runs out.

The FA20 can be tuned like any other WRX, but the CVT cannot handle too much torque and if the tuner doesn’t know that. You will be up for a new gearbox.

Being an early adopter. The suspension was woeful in the first models with the rear end bottoming out and oscillating over bumps. From all reports they have fixed the suspension in the new models. I ended up installing a set up MCA coilovers, and it while it did fix the rear end. I still reckon my wife’s 2016 Corolla takes some corners and roundabouts better!

If you are after a bit more noise from the exhaust. Do not even think about it! Because of the CVT, they sound like shite!! I had a Invidia Cat back installed and took it off a month or two later.

Those on the forums raving about aftermarket exhausts on their Levorgs are just kidding themselves!
Thanks mate. That is really helpful