Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New family car - Subaru ?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I would have taken a subie in a second over the vf wagon,not enough room in them and seats are too small,made for Asians/small people.
Back in 2014/15 we looked at Subaru wrx and ralliart lancers,subie was uncomfortably small,we got the ralliart.
Are the sti seats in the levorg small like wrx seats?
Compare reliability with the ls3 and the many issues it has,even the 6.0 and its issues,could the turbo boxer be any worse?
They are a great looking car that's for sure.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you are a small person with a small family and you don't spend too much time on the highway, maybe!
Driving a suby reminds me of driving a billy cart as a kid. Too small too noisy too low gearing and too many revs. Meh, give me a Commodore!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
this will show you the fun that can be had with scooby doo engines, they are not bad at all.
at 42 mins they have it on the track.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Supposedly cvt auto can drone a bit so do take one for a test drive before you commit.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yeah do your research on CVT's - some of the early ones had some issues you don't want to walk into.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
My wife has a 2016 wrx sti, and its a great car. Drives so much better than my redline to be honest.
Unless its changed in the last few years Im pretty sure the STI levorg is just appearance parts, not anything else like in the WRX, or the older sti liberties. We looked at it as well and it just wasnt value for money, you would have been better off with the outback it had far more impressive feature set, it just doest look all that great.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Unless its changed in the last few years Im pretty sure the STI levorg is just appearance parts, not anything else like in the WRX, or the older sti liberties.
The STI ones are like the old "HSV Enhanced" Commodores, a few parts added here & there, more like a Storm or a Black really.
It's a WRX wagon in essence.
They're reliable enough, 2016 shouldn't be a problem with the CVT (if it's a CVT - I think they didn't sell manuals here?). The CVT isn't a very inspiring 'box to drive, though, test-drive with that in mind, it still feels a little bit elastic-bandy. It's not the sound, it's the feel. I accept that automatics are dull & any auto is always going to be Just Transport; and maybe that's why the CVT didn't bother me; but a lot of people don't like them.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
In the US, we run away from CVTs, they are garbage. About the Subaru engines, they are not that bad but heard from others that they leak oil and some had head gasket issues. They all pretty much said, get the Manual Transmission, that goes with most Jap cars. The only one that seems to have a decent Auto Trans is Toyota.

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
The Levorg has the WRX engine tune 197/350
Mrs has a 2014 WRX CVT. Whilst engine is good, don't like CVT, suspension ridiculously hard, interior fit and finish poor.
If you can handle the CVT, then I suspect a 2018 is probably a nice car