Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New flywheel to crankshaft bolts

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Guys, in the process of tidying up a VR motor to go into my VP. Removed flywheel/driveplate (it's an automatic) and replaced rear crankshaft oil seal. Manual says new driveplate bolts. Regular suppliers say it's got to be genuine and Holden want $73 for 8 small bolts. I know they are high tensile bolts that stretch when installed and they have locktite of some sort on them to make sure they don't back out but $73?
Is there a suitable substitute and thread sealer for the job?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
looks like I've got you all stumped on this one. So everyone who has replaced a rear main oil seal goes to GMH and spends $73 on new crankshaft bolts-- or have you all just re-used the ones you took out and you don't want to think about it? At least I'm thinking of going to our local engineers supplier and buying hi tensile and some good locktite. Surprised I've got no response on this one

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
Use old Bolts loctite threadlocker, and tension to manufacturers specs, never bought new bolts.

I dont take any responsibility for what you decide to do, just telling you what i do

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i bought new bolts, they're torque to yield so they're basically meant to be single use.
i didn't use holden though, and didn't pay anything like 73. imho i got a set of 8 new ARP bolts for like $35

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
looks like I've got you all stumped on this one. So everyone who has replaced a rear main oil seal goes to GMH and spends $73 on new crankshaft bolts

Yep. Maybe ask for trade price. If you are nice and look like you might be buying a few other things sometimes you'll get it, even without a trade ticket.

-- or have you all just re-used the ones you took out and you don't want to think about it?

A lot of that will be happening too.

At least I'm thinking of going to our local engineers supplier and buying hi tensile and some good locktite. Surprised I've got no response on this one

If you do go that route, I'd be rethinking what bolt tension to use as the OEM bolts may be something special (I simply do not know if they are or not). The presence of the Loctite will act as a lubricant and reduce the torque required for a given bolt tension. The different compounds have different effects.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yeah, ARP for new bolts. much cheaper and re-usable.

i have re-used my flywheel bolts before and they are still holding fine after many years so who knows. that was before i knew they were TTY type bolts.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
thanks for the responses fellas. Work is progressing. I will let you know how it pans out. I have a bit of info to post regarding conflicting info in different manuals