Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Front Speaker Selection Help

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you're willing to spend just under $1k and are buying from eBay, I'd go for the Boston SPZ60 top of the range splits . No point resorting to just the PRO60 model :)

I have the previous top of the range Boston Z6 and am pretty happy... I think I'm going deaf though because I'm considering another set or maybe just a set of the PRO60 for the parcel shelf.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
If you're willing to spend just under $1k and are buying from eBay, I'd go for the Boston SPZ60 top of the range splits . No point resorting to just the PRO60 model :)

I have the previous top of the range Boston Z6 and am pretty happy... I think I'm going deaf though because I'm considering another set or maybe just a set of the PRO60 for the parcel shelf.

I was thinking off buying these from a store in perth. Apparently focal don't supply to online stores etc and hear too many fakes around. I went to Alberts to have a listen to the soundstream ones ... only to find out this particular store doesn't do soundstream :p
He showed me some other ones, RE XXX have some decent bass to them without a sub.. but I'll have a sub so thought not. Then showed me some DD but didn't like the sound on em at higher lvls.. he said he could order me in some CDT's which he recons are off the roof etc.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
I was thinking off buying these from a store in perth. Apparently focal don't supply to online stores etc and hear too many fakes around. I went to Alberts to have a listen to the soundstream ones ... only to find out this particular store doesn't do soundstream :p
He showed me some other ones, RE XXX have some decent bass to them without a sub.. but I'll have a sub so thought not. Then showed me some DD but didn't like the sound on em at higher lvls.. he said he could order me in some CDT's which he recons are off the roof etc.

You're not obligated to pay, if he orders them in, just remember that!

Audition till you are happy! :thumbsup:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I still haven't had a chance to listen to them soundstream ones.

But I have tried doing some research and looked on ebay for prices. On ebay I can get those speakers for $228.... which seems really cheap. I know price isn't everything but they seem cheap. Now I'm thinking that maybe the In-Car entertainment 2009 awards is rigged or something lol.

Hopefully tomorow I can have a listen to them.

I'm just having a look at the silver awards for <$1000 - the pioneer TS-D1720C .... ebay for $250... but they are rated for 60wrms!! don't think they are for me either... don't think they will be loud enough for my liking.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I have Boston Pro60s in my car, the previous model not the SE model. I highly recommend them, can't really fault them at all. The mids are absolutely awesome, should satisfy your craving for loud speakers. I'd say the tweeters are what sets the Pro60s and the Z6s apart, that being said the Pro60 tweeters are still fantastic. Definitely worth the coin.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I had both the Z6s and Pro60s but never installed the Pros. The woofer basket is quite a bit larger on the Z6s, much heavier too. When I buy the Pro60's I'll fade from front to back to see how much difference I can hear from the woofers.

Also, those magazine reviews are biased towards whoever pays the most ;)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I guess your right about that Stone X.

There's not too many reviews about the SoundStream TRC.6N, it's a shame because I'm at work and now eager to have a listen.

I was thinking of getting a MB Quart DSC480 to power them (bridged). Would this be alright??

Also wondering, I've got 2 pairs of Alpine Type R splits (older version ones, 70wrms) and a Alpine V12 75x4 amp to power them... I was just wondering what I would be able to sell these for?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Well ... I'm going to have a listen to the SoundStream TRC.6N on saturday hopefully in a car... so that will be the best I guess to listen to. Went to Alberts today and they wanted to sell me the SoundStream TRC.6N woofer with Pro Series SST-05 tweeters for $700 .... anyone heard of these SST-05's?? they showed me them ... they are HUGGE for tweeters and heavy aswell.

Some Specs for ya:

SOUNDSTREAM SST-05 BULLET TWEETERS SST05

Soundstream SST-05 1" Titanium Bullet Tweeters - Pair
100 Watts Max / 50 Watts RMS Power Handling
Gold Plated Trim
Titanium Diaphragm
1K - 20 KHz Freq. Response
109dB Sensitivity

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
It's taking forever for saturday to come!!!

I've been looking at different amps to get... obviously Alberts in Osborne Park have been brought by Soundstream so they are trying to sell me soundstream amp aswell.

To run the SoundStream TRC.6N components (200rms), they recommend the SoundStream Lil Wonder III LW4.500, which is weird... because its rated for 65x4 (4ohm) or 250x2 (4ohm bridged).

Or I was looking at the MB Quart DSC480 which is 80x4 or 320x2 (bridged). This would give more output power for the extra headroom, and not running the amp near max so that the amp stays cooler.

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter?

SoundStream LW4.500
• Power 4ohm: 65 x 4
• Power 2 ohm: 125 x 4
• Power 4ohm Bridged: 250 x 2
• Frequency Response 10Hz - 35kHz
• 105dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A/B models)

MB Quart DSC 480
• 4 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.
• 2 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan.
• Bridged, 4 ohms: 320 watts x 2 chan
• Frequency response: 10Hz - 20KHz
• Variable high-pass filter (10-1200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
• Variable low-pass filter (30-150 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

SoundStream TRC.6N
• Power Handling (Watts) 200
• Magnet Weight (Oz.) 30
--Crossover Frequencies--
• High-Pass (Hz) 3.8K
• Low-Pass (Hz) 60K
• Crossover Slope 18dB
• Sensitivity 91dB
• Frequency Response (Hz) 40 - 20K
• Voice Coil Size (Inches) 1.25
• Woofer Mounting De[th (Inches) 2.6

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Neither. Buy a high powered 2 channel amp, not a 4 channel amp to bridge to 2 channels.