Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Grange, Is it the BMW 5 series killer?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Troy711 said:
i reckon the new grange (when it is released) will make a fair few yuppies turn away from their eurotrash tastes and decide to buy home grown.

whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

I think there will be any number of euro drivers who buy the badge and would never consider a Holden nomatter how good it is. I personally have loved the BMW styling for years but have thought the interior styling was all wrong and (IMHO) very dated. From the drivers seat the VY/Z and even VT/X dashboard etc were far superior for my taste.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
HoZy said:
One problem... a badge called HSV...

Insurance price sky rockets just because of that badge.

Cheers
MaT

Any 5 series buyer would not be concerned about the insurance bill. The difference in purchase price of the cars would insure the HSV for many years and still be in front.

Reaper

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
Having said that, if you had $95k to spend on a 4 door luxury sports car, then you could buy either the top end Grange or the cheapest 5 series. That's a bit more of an even match.
ROFL!!! good one!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i reckon the new grange (when it is released) will make a fair few yuppies turn away from their eurotrash tastes and decide to buy home grown.

whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

Havent read anything else, so sorry if i miss anything.

I disagree, people buy euro for quality and years of experience in building cars, , people will always buy the brand that to them provides them with peace of mind.

I have to say if i had the money, i'd buy the new 5 series ina heartbeat after driving my bosses...goddamn they are so nice to drive.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
"(the brakes get brighter and brighter the harder you press the pedal in the Bimmers these days too). " scotty

Great idea that. I have been arguing for a couple of years that cars should do that. I thought I was going to invent it ha.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
IMO you cant compare a holden to a BMW, its like comparing a kia to a holden, very big difference in build quality. I recently drove a 2004 BMW M3 sequential 6 speed, and i tell you now i can definetly understand the high price tag. That car is perfect, powerfull, comfortable and smooth.

If i had $25,000 to spend on a car, and had to choose between a 1999 5 series BMW and a vyss, id definetly be going the BMW. Fair enough the SS is younger and would be quicker but handling and quality wise the BMW out weighs the VY IMO.
My step mums 1991 318i goes like a dog, sooo gutless, but braking and cornering is unreal, it handles loads better than the 2002 monaro i have driven. The brakes on the thing are unreal, its just the amount of power that lets it down, soo gutless,lol

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I think we can compare the GTS-R coming out to the M5 performance and handling!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
IMO you cant compare a holden to a BMW, its like comparing a kia to a holden, very big difference in build quality. I recently drove a 2004 BMW M3 sequential 6 speed, and i tell you now i can definetly understand the high price tag. That car is perfect, powerfull, comfortable and smooth.

If i had $25,000 to spend on a car, and had to choose between a 1999 5 series BMW and a vyss, id definetly be going the BMW. Fair enough the SS is younger and would be quicker but handling and quality wise the BMW out weighs the VY IMO.
My step mums 1991 318i goes like a dog, sooo gutless, but braking and cornering is unreal, it handles loads better than the 2002 monaro i have driven. The brakes on the thing are unreal, its just the amount of power that lets it down, soo gutless,lol

According to testers from both WHEELS AND MOTOR, the VE Commodore drives BETTER than any current BMW. Comparing the VE to a VY or VZ is silly. The VE is a completely different car, this is quality that we have never seen in a Commodore before. The VE range is only let down against BMW in the driveline, with the engine, trans and gearbox.

The HSV is another step up with MRC.

As for build quality etc. this is why Holden bought a 5 series BMW, to try and equal or better the build quality of the BMW.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Vn2nv, nothing personal here...but all is ee is you praising the hell out of a car that you don't own, havent properly tested. You are comparing it to another car that you have never driven. Sorry, but magazine reports can't confirm nor deny any true readings on the 2 cars, only personal driving of the cars by you can say truly what is best for you.

I have driven just a nice high end 5 series, to me in comaprison to the VE it drove and felt alot better than any holden i have ever driven as well as any ford(although the GT-P is a brilliant ride). However, this is just my thoughts, i am sure people who have driven both cars will probably have different views to me.