Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Headers Advice

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
I have HSV340 headers. You're on the right track I'd say, with 1 7/8 and 2.5" cat back. Depends on what you plan for future mods. In saying that, if I was tp replace my headers I'd go for Pacemaker PH5387's. Mainly as I like the design amd they are reportedly good for bottom and mid range.
What if i dont plan to do any other future mods.
Still stick to the 1 7/8?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I drive cars with 1 3/4 and cars with 1 7/8 pipes and I really can't tell the difference, in fact I notice a much bigger change in my cars performance due to the brand and type of tyres I run or the condition they're in.

And tunes as well as they are not all equal across tuners and not all engines output the same.

Basically what I'm saying is if you are going to get into worrying about a small loss because of header choice for a street car then you are going to start pulling your hair out due to all the other factors that also come into play when you are chasing ten tenths.

I prefer the sound of the 1 7/8 and if I'm losing something because of them then so be it but it's not something I really notice or care about and of course teaming the 1 7/8 with bigger pipes and high flow cats plays a big part in the sound I go for.

Last edited:

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
I drive cars with 1 3/4 and cars with 1 7/8 pipes and I really can't tell the difference, in fact I notice a much bigger change in my cars performance due to the brand and type of tyres I run or the condition they're in.

And tunes as well as they are not all equal across tuners and not all engines output the same.

Basically what I'm saying is if you are going to get into worrying about a small lose because of header choice for a street car then you are going to start pulling your hair out due to all the other factors that also come into play when you are chasing ten tenths.

I prefer the sound of the 1 7/8 and if I'm losing something because of them then so be it but it's not something I really notice or care about and of course teaming the 1 7/8 with bigger pipes and high flow cats plays a big part in the sound I go for.

Ok! The 1 7/8 seem to make the mechanical noise from the engine louder from my understanding.
Is that why you like the sound or because the 1 7/8 make the sound deeper or louder compared to the 1 3/4?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ok! The 1 7/8 seem to make the mechanical noise from the engine louder from my understanding.
Is that why you like the sound or because the 1 7/8 make the sound deeper or louder compared to the 1 3/4?

Sound is subjective, go out to a place where car enthusiasts hang out and have a listen.

It may not be possible to do that at the moment but you need to hear the differences between exhaust systems to know you're happy with the sound before you spend your money, don't be in a hurry and that way you should end up with what you really want.

The general rule is the bigger the bore the bigger and deeper the sound but materials and build quality also play a part and not all car owner's like all that noise and neither do their neighbours.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Sound is subjective, go out to a place where car enthusiasts hang out and have a listen.

It may not be possible to do that at the moment but you need to hear the differences between exhaust systems to know you're happy with the sound before you spend your money, don't be in a hurry and that way you should end up with what you really want.

The general rule is the bigger the bore the bigger and deeper the sound but materials and build quality also play a part and not all car owner's like all that noise and neither do their neighbours.

I must say going from the difilippo 2.5 system with 1 7/8 headers in my ve to the difilippo 1 3/4 headers and 3 inch in my vf, the 3 inch is louder but had the same tone therefore better imo, so I'd always opt for the 3inch with whatever size header, especially with a manual.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Mild steel is deeper over SS or titanium.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Mild steel is deeper over SS or titanium.
I always thought that but once I got a dpe system which is stainless, it was the deepest note I'd heard, I think it comes down to design, from what I've heard in person the dpe system is the deepest and the xforce system is the raspyest (highest pitch) and they are usually mild steal.
That's just my impression thou..

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Last edited:

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hey folks,
Can someone in the know recommend an Australian made system that fits well for a vf2 Redline. Preferably 1 3/4" primaries into a 2.5" or 3", low drone and not obnoxiously loud. Crisp note, not too deep n fluffy(subjective I know).
Minor mods at this stage (OTR, exhaust, Tune) with the likelihood of a supercharger in the near future.
I'm committed to buying Aussie made , do they even still exist?
Is there a preference for one that will best support high power outputs(eg SC).
Cheers