Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Headers Advice

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I thinking of getting the Empire headers for my series 1 SSVR or maybe the Rhino that has the cats integrated in the headers.
I'm not chasing horsepower but I need to replace one of the Cats as it's started to make a rattle kind of noise that is slowly getting worse.
I already have a Cat back and OTR, and realize I'll need a tune as well. The tune is what $800 or so, and cash isn't easy to come by at the moment.
So what are your thoughts?

https://empireperformance.com.au/pr...QmiEAYYASABEgL-5_D_BwE&variant=20127898828918

https://rhinoexhaust.com.au/ve-vf-v8-1-7-8headers-extractors-with-high-flow-3-cats/

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The tune is what $800 or so, and cash isn't easy to come by at the moment.
So what are your thoughts?

Are you able to go second hand stock? Tune will net you more power but you shouldn't cheap out on it or use somebody without a good reputation as quality of tunes can vary wildly despite the cut and paste nature of basic bolt on tunes.

First impression is that they're both suspiciously cheap for extractor kits that come with 2 cats. Empire ones give off the vibe of ebay headers.

Last edited:

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Are you able to go second hand stock? Tune will net you more power but you shouldn't cheap out on it or use somebody without a good reputation as quality of tunes can vary wildly despite the cut and paste nature of basic bolt on tunes.

First impression is that they're both suspiciously cheap for extractor kits that come with 2 cats. Empire ones give off the vibe of ebay headers.

There's a few of good tuners here in Newcastle, a workmate had his done at Coretune (Twin turbo VX SS, 'kin flys), there's Blacktrack, Slipstream and a couple of others so I'm not worried about the tuner, just don't have 2k to spend.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I took back a set of empire headers because they would not clear anything on the drivers side,starter,trans lines,wiring harness etc.
The quality is the worst of any headers ive seen in my life.
The guys at empire were awesome to deal with but the headers are junk.
Ive purchased 2 rhino exhausts and sent them both back because of quality issues,wouldnt imagine the headers being any better.
I highly rate the factory hsv tri y headers,i looked at almost everything header wise,gm motorsport are meant to be great but very pricy for a bolt in deal.
The shorter tri y would lose a few hp in the top end over pacies etc but are a cheap quality alternative that are miles ahead of the factory cast log manifolds.
340 kw vf hsv ones with the 2.5 outlet are the go,i have the ve hsv ones which are 2.25 outlet and my wagon goes great.
My tune cost $1250 and that included a new harrop otr.

Last edited:

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Cheapest is always going to be a used set of hsv tris. Don't know what they sound like though, can't imagine they would be the same as rex or xforce

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Great advice guys thanks.
So HSV tri ys will do what I want/need.
Anybody got some for sale?
There's one pair on ebby from a VE. The preferred the ones are off a 340 if that's even possible now.
Looking, looking.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
yeah you will probably struggle to find 340s, and if you do will most likely want your liver and kidney for payment.
genie (not wildcat) would be another option but quite a bit more than the 2 listed.
otherwise chat with andy at extracted performance (vic) are also said to be very good, but again slightly more.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
don't buy empire chinese headers, would you fit chinese parts to your aussie commodore , stay away from them, as others have said buy the 340kw hsv headers or if funds allow shorty pacemaker 2.5inch copies australian made with a high flow 100 or 200 cell cat, if funds are short you don't need a tune simply buy some cat cheats on ebay for about $30 and they will trick your cars computer so no engine light comes on, may be at a later stage if funds allow you can get the tune done with a cold air intake will give better performance,