Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Headers Advice

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Bi-modal valves on DPE mufflers do a good job of quieting the system down.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Bi-modal valves on DPE mufflers do a good job of quieting the system down.
Which do a good job on quietening the system down? Bimodal valves on stock mufflers or bimodal valves on DPE mufflers?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Just got back from my mechanic and had a chat about which full exhaust system to go with.
He said that he strongly recommends Di Fillipo for sound & performance but the issue is that its loud even with the bimodals welded back in.
I know sound is subjective and if its a bit louder than stock than thats fine but dont want it too loud.
Looking at 1 3/4 headers 200 cell cats & 2.5 inch cat back with bimodals.
Sooo how much louder than stock is this thing?
My car is stock apart from custom tune & VCM otr.
Is Harrop quieter?
You'll have the bimodal function so I'd say it will be quite enough, I like most have pulled the fuse to have it loud all the time but I'd say the set up recommended by your machanic is the way to go, most other systems are quite barky, the dpe system is deep which isn't as obnoxious.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Which do a good job on quietening the system down? Bimodal valves on stock mufflers or bimodal valves on DPE mufflers?

Read the post, bi-modal valves on DPE mufflers.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I fitted my di filippo 1-7/8 headers and 3inch system to my 2017 redline ute a fortnight ago, haven't retrofitted bimodal valves.

It's definitely louder but I wouldn't say it's crazy loud (compared to some of the previous subarus I've owned) Cold starts in a semi enclosed carport is were I noticed the most noise as it bounces around shaking the metal sheeting. Driving around normally I reckon it's reasonably sedate but when opened up it's much louder.

I compared the dpe and stock mufflers during fitment and they look extremely similar and reckon there's a good chance they'd be interchangeable (mine are both flat flanged) might give it a go this week off pending weather.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
You'll have the bimodal function so I'd say it will be quite enough, I like most have pulled the fuse to have it loud all the time but I'd say the set up recommended by your machanic is the way to go, most other systems are quite barky, the dpe system is deep which isn't as obnoxious.
I read in a different thread that you had issues with exhaust rattling when the bimodals were closed. (May be the butterfly valve rattling) Could you hear the rattle from drivers seat? Or only from standing near the exhaust tips?

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
I fitted my di filippo 1-7/8 headers and 3inch system to my 2017 redline ute a fortnight ago, haven't retrofitted bimodal valves.

It's definitely louder but I wouldn't say it's crazy loud (compared to some of the previous subarus I've owned) Cold starts in a semi enclosed carport is were I noticed the most noise as it bounces around shaking the metal sheeting. Driving around normally I reckon it's reasonably sedate but when opened up it's much louder.

I compared the dpe and stock mufflers during fitment and they look extremely similar and reckon there's a good chance they'd be interchangeable (mine are both flat flanged) might give it a go this week off pending weather.

This is pretty much bang on my experience. I have the same system, though with bimodals, and aside from the cold starts in a semi enclosed carport, it's easy to drive it quietly or loudly.

At all normal speed limits can hardly hear the exhaust.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
if u want it quiet just adapt the stock rear mufflers onto the DPE system (slightly different rear angles/flange point i think) and it will cut alot of the sound back to basically stock at cruise but still be nice under load and wont affect performance
By adapting the stock mufflers on the DPE system will that decrease the loudness of the cold start compared to the normal DPE mufflers?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
stock mufflers will quieten it alot they have bout double the muffler size and not straight thru, u may still get boomy outside of the car with a decent camshaft because of the pressure pulse going thru but in cabin will be alot quieter, stock camshaft should be almost back to stock levels its mostly any drone it will cancel out

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I read in a different thread that you had issues with exhaust rattling when the bimodals were closed. (May be the butterfly valve rattling) Could you hear the rattle from drivers seat? Or only from standing near the exhaust tips?
Yer it was a loose bolt that got tightened so figured that out. As for sound I have 2 videos that give you a idea of sound although I'd be using headphones to listen properly as the sound out the phone doesn't sound to good.

This is a full dpe 3 inch with the bimodal fuse pulled out.