Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Headers Advice

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I fitted my di filippo 1-7/8 headers and 3inch system to my 2017 redline ute a fortnight ago, haven't retrofitted bimodal valves.

It's definitely louder but I wouldn't say it's crazy loud (compared to some of the previous subarus I've owned) Cold starts in a semi enclosed carport is were I noticed the most noise as it bounces around shaking the metal sheeting. Driving around normally I reckon it's reasonably sedate but when opened up it's much louder.

I compared the dpe and stock mufflers during fitment and they look extremely similar and reckon there's a good chance they'd be interchangeable (mine are both flat flanged) might give it a go this week off pending weather.

I have same 3" kpm system on my VE Head cammed ute and VF SS sedan and ute is not as loud as sedan inside think the ute design tones the sound down a lot compared to sedans

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Hey guys! Soon i will be booking my vf ssv ls3 for a full difillipo/manta system.
1 3/4 headers, 200 cell cats & 2.5” exhaust with my current bimodal valves welded back in.
Will the 200 cell cats make the smell fumey?
If i decide to go for a mild/medium size cam later on will the 1 3/4 headers be big enough or should i go 1 7/8?
If anyone has this system what are your thoughts? I dont want a loud system.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
If anyone has this system what are your thoughts? I dont want a loud system.
I fitted up the 1 7/8 and 3 inch system to my ls3 ute a while back, I love it, I planned to refit the bimodals but still haven't. No where as loud as I'd expected, can be driven without much noise, cold starts are noisy but that's about it.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
I fitted up the 1 7/8 and 3 inch system to my ls3 ute a while back, I love it, I planned to refit the bimodals but still haven't. No where as loud as I'd expected, can be driven without much noise, cold starts are noisy but that's about it.
Did you notice it was more responsive and more bottom end torque?

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I doubt very much the smaller headers will detract from bottom/midrange torque, it might even be more responsive.
The bigger system might give you an extra 4hp above 6000rpm?...

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
So if im going for a cam down the track should i go 1 3/4 headers or 1 7/8 now?

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
When you're talking such small numbers, other factors come into consideration. Big headers and big pipes just sound better.
In that case I'd go the 2inch headers :cool:

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Did you notice it was more responsive and more bottom end torque?
Below 2k I couldn't really tell any difference, 2-4k feels like it has more punch but could be a bit of a placebo effect as it sounds good now. When you wind it out you can tell it definitely has more go now then before, even without a tune yet